Re: Network Address Translation Keeps Going Down..Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Millimeter, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Millimeter

    Millimeter Guest

    On 31 Mar 2004 14:44:49 GMT, Jeroen Wijnands
    <4all.nl> wrote:

    >CH MCSE wrote:
    >
    >> Our client has got network address translation running a
    >> Windows 2003 server. they've got 7 workstation computers
    >> on the network.
    >>
    >> NAT has been sharing the broadband ADSL internet
    >> connection for about a month and has been working
    >> perfectly. Each computer can access the internet from
    >> their workstation via the server.
    >>

    >> Here's the problem:
    >>
    >> At various times during the day (about 4 times a day)
    >> their internet access goes down. No workstations can view
    >> any web pages nor can the server.
    >>
    >> To get it back online again we have to disable the
    >> internal network interface and then re-enable it. It only
    >> takes a couple of seconds to do so but it's beginning to
    >> be a real pain. There are no errors in Event Viewer and
    >> we've confirmed it's not a problem with the ISP.
    >>
    >> Routing and remote access does not give any visible
    >> errors about anything being down or offline but it does
    >> seem as though the problem is being caused somewhere near
    >> to where NAT passes the internal network traffic onto the
    >> external internet interface.
    >>

    >> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >Well, first of all NAT is a protocol, it's not what's actually sharing
    >your problem.

    If the IP address at the internal router port changes then it would
    have to be propogated across the network. If the NAT is still
    advertising the old address then yes it could be sharing the problem.

    >Secondly, as with any server problem, have you already checked the log
    >files?

    Just a guess, but I thought event viewer showed the server logs.

    >Thirdly, sometimes this can be caused by inactivity of the clients, you
    >may want to look into that. Also, check that htere's no powermanagement
    >feature trying to power down the network card.

    No argument here.
    Millimeter, Apr 2, 2004