Re: NETSCAPE Help NewsGroup

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ralph Fox, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:50:22 GMT, in message <>
    (Doug Bashford) wrote:

    > An aside, it seems mozzilla corp is attempting
    > with some success to assimillate the Usenet Netscape
    > newsgroups. I'll not be assimilated, on general
    > principle.

    The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups were set up
    for the mozilla organization, not as Netscape help
    newsgroups.

    > But it seems to me that we Useneters are making
    > that easy for them since there is no Netscape.help
    > newsgroup...that is, something that would show up
    > definatively as Netscape help in a "netscape" search
    > of the NGs.

    You appear to be looking for newsgroups such as
    netscape.navigator and netscape.nertscape6.windows.
    You will find these newsgroups on Netscape's SSL news
    server using these settings:

    News server name: secnews.netscape.com
    Secure connection (SSL): Yes
    Port: 563 (the default when SSL is turned on)

    Generally speaking, only the netscape.public.*
    newsgroups were available from other Usenet servers.

    Unfortunately Forte Free Agent 1.21 does not support SSL.

    You must use SSL to access the Netscape help newsgroups
    on Netscape's news server. If you don't use SSL you
    will get a smaller list of newsgroups, missing the Netscape
    help newsgroups.

    You can either use an add-on like STunnel to provide the
    SSL for Free Agent, or you can walk the talk and use a
    Netscape newsreader (Netscape newsreaders do support SSL).
    You can use Mozilla Thunderbird too, but you may need
    to enable the "security.ssl3.rsa_rc2_40_md5" preference.

    > It also seems the *used* help NGs are being watered down,
    > divided between alt.fan.mozilla and
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser and....?

    > ...so I'm cross posting this, pretty much in
    > my percieved desperation to keep Usenet netscape alive.
    >
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
    > alt.fan.mozilla,
    > alt.netscape,
    > netscape.public.general,
    >
    > Any ideas for a new newsgroup name?
    > or is it a terrible idea?

    1. Stick with alt.netscape.
    2. Use the existing netscape.* groups on Netscape's SSL news server.
    3. If these NGs seem dead, that is because Netscape seems dead.
    Trying to create more newsgroups won't change that one jot.
    It will only divide any remaining Netscape discussions.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 20, 2010