Re: Netiquette When Quoting

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Jul 9, 2012.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:35:53 +1200, Kiwi <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Can I possibly suggest that those who reply to posts do not quote a
    >thread in its entirety when it has already had several replies?

    An example.

    <SNIP>

    >Not meaning to be pedantic, but it chews up bandwidth & server space,
    >plus readers have to scroll down several pages to get to the latest
    >update and read through content they have already read. :(

    I'm not sure that bandwidth & server space are issues any more. But
    it's definitely makes reading it a pain in the arse.
    Donchano, Jul 9, 2012

  2. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-07-09, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:35:53 +1200, Kiwi <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>Can I possibly suggest that those who reply to posts do not quote a
    >>thread in its entirety when it has already had several replies?

    > An example.
    >
    ><SNIP>
    >
    >>Not meaning to be pedantic, but it chews up bandwidth & server space,
    >>plus readers have to scroll down several pages to get to the latest
    >>update and read through content they have already read. :(

    > I'm not sure that bandwidth & server space are issues any more. But
    > it's definitely makes reading it a pain in the arse.

    Enough grains of sands make a very long beach. Every little bit counts.

    However the realy amin point is, do you as the writer wish others to read
    your posts? When confronted with more than two screen fulls of quotes I move
    right along. No doubt others do as well.

    If it worth writing, its worth snipping (the previous post). Unless one is
    plain lazy.
    Gordon, Jul 10, 2012

  3. Donchano

    Mike Dee Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >> [...]

    > However the realy amin point is, do you as the writer wish others
    > to read your posts? When confronted with more than two screen
    > fulls of quotes I move right along. No doubt others do as well.

    I tend to move along when confronted with lengthy untrimmed quotes and
    then, at the bottom of it, an "I agree" or a "+1" is all that's been
    contributed.

    Thankfully, most full featured newsreaders also have a toggle, either a
    button or hotkey that turns quoted text on or off. So with it toggled
    off, all you see is what's been written by the poster you are reading
    at the time. Which is great for those long threads and loads of quoted
    material.

    > If it worth writing, its worth snipping (the previous post).
    > Unless one is plain lazy.

    Yes, mostly. I agree with the previous posters tho', no trimming is a
    waste of bandwidth and "a pain in the a" to read.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Jul 13, 2012