Re: Netbooks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SMS, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
    > digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
    > You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
    > But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
    > want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

    I use a small tablet PC, but not as small as the eePC.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC1100.

    It's more like a large UMPC than a small notebook, especially when you
    detach the keyboard. It's powerful enough for image processing, though
    not terrible fast.

    Unfortunately, the newer tablets have moved away from this rather unique
    style. On the TC1000 and TC1100 the keyboard is removable to reduce
    weight and size, and you can use a virtual keyboard on the screen if you
    need one, but you can get by without one. It's very challenging to have
    the screen and all the electronics together, especially in terms of
    thermal design, so newer tablets tend to be "notebook computers with a
    touch screen." There is an integral SD slot, and I use a 32 bit CardBus
    adapter to read CF cards.

    I spent many weeks in Korea working on the TC1000 project (the TC1100 is
    the same unit with different CPU and graphics chips), consuming a lot of
    bibimbab and soju, so I have a fondness for this tablet.
    SMS, Sep 8, 2008