Re: Netbooks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by clandestin_écureuil, Aug 26, 2008.

  1. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
    > digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
    > You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
    > But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
    > want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

    I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a much
    longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom processor is much
    faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my multi processor Mac, but
    is will handle it as long as you are prepared to wait for filters to run
    etc., and don't keep to many levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it
    is much quicker than a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must
    when working with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
    managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for any real
    post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my tripod, a mount
    sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting vehicular GPS devices.

    Secret Squirrel

    --

    Ingrid Rose

    clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
    clandestin_écureuil, Aug 26, 2008

  2. clandestin_écureuil

    Sheila Guest

    clandestin_écureuil wrote:
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
    >> digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for
    >> travelling. You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner
    >> for backups. But how suitable are these machines for image processing?
    >> You might want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

    > I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a much
    > longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom processor is
    > much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my multi processor
    > Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are prepared to wait for
    > filters to run etc., and don't keep to many levels of changes. With the
    > solid state HDD it is much quicker than a mechanical HDD when spooling
    > to disk - as it must when working with large raw files. It does handle
    > SilkyPix fine though, for managing raw files. I use it mostly for
    > tethered shooting, not for any real post processing. I use it on a mount
    > that attaches to my tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for
    > mounting vehicular GPS devices.
    >
    > Secret Squirrel

    We use a small laptop.

    Sheila
    Sheila, Aug 27, 2008

  3. Sheila wrote:
    > clandestin_écureuil wrote:
    >> Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
    >>> digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for
    >>> travelling. You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD
    >>> burner for backups. But how suitable are these machines for image
    >>> processing? You might want/need to do some image processing while
    >>> travelling.

    >> I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a
    >> much longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom
    >> processor is much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my
    >> multi processor Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are
    >> prepared to wait for filters to run etc., and don't keep to many
    >> levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it is much quicker than
    >> a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must when working
    >> with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
    >> managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for
    >> any real post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my
    >> tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting
    >> vehicular GPS devices. Secret Squirrel
    >>

    > We use a small laptop.
    >
    > Sheila

    Same here - the "netbook" might be OK for Web browsing, but I want the
    ability to store lots of data, quick CPU, work with standard Windows
    programs, have a display at least 768 pixels tall which I can see clearly,
    and a few USB ports to talk to my GPS etc.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 27, 2008
  4. clandestin_écureuil

    measekite Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Sheila wrote:
    >
    >> clandestin_écureuil wrote:

    >>> I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a
    >>> much longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom
    >>> processor is much faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my
    >>> multi processor Mac, but is will handle it as long as you are
    >>> prepared to wait for filters to run etc., and don't keep to many
    >>> levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it is much quicker than
    >>> a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must when working
    >>> with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
    >>> managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for
    >>> any real post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my
    >>> tripod, a mount sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting
    >>> vehicular GPS devices. Secret Squirrel
    >>>

    >> We use a small laptop.
    >>
    >> Sheila
    >>

    > Same here - the "netbook" might be OK for Web browsing, but I want the
    > ability to store lots of data, quick CPU, work with standard Windows
    > programs, have a display at least 768 pixels tall which I can see clearly,
    > and a few USB ports to talk to my GPS etc.
    >
    > David

    Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
    hassles?

    measekite, Aug 28, 2008
  5. measekite wrote:
    []
    > Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
    > hassles?

    Yes, I even have some FreeBSD running here. But, what hassles? All the
    photo-processing software I have works reliably on Windows, and there are
    no Linux versions. Today's Windows versions (XP and Vista) are stable and
    reliable, and they don't come in a dozen incompatible variants. Linux
    would gain me nothing, and lose me quite a lot.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 28, 2008