Re: netbook repair

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    DJH wrote:
    > I slopped half a cup of coffee (with sugar) over my Advent 4489. It
    > didn't all go directly over it but it splashed it. I dried it out and
    > the processor etc works ok but most of the keys on the keyboard aren't
    > working. It's only 6 months old but of course I can't find the receipt
    > etc for it now :-(. What's the likelihood of it being repaired at a
    > reasonable cost (i.e. under 100 quid - I'm in the UK) or is it scrap?

    On a regular laptop, the keyboard would be modular and removable.
    Some people manage to change keyboards themselves. The only
    trick might be, when you buy a keyboard, getting the right
    language of keyboard. Some laptops have four or more choices
    for keyboards, and you have to be careful to get the right one.
    Presumably, there is a delicate cable on the thing, and one tug
    the wrong way, could mean you're shopping for a new cable as well.

    Example of a keyboard, here.

    http://www.notebookrepair.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27_1224&products_id=4117

    In terms of cleaning keyboards, some people claim you can disassemble
    and rinse the keyboard while it is still wet with the coffee. I tried
    that with an expensive ($150.00) keyboard, and even after all that
    care (cleaning and thorough drying), three of the keys didn't work.
    That keyboard was assembled with steel rivets, so I couldn't tear
    it apart for a look. Steel rivets tend to spin when you drill them,
    and I didn't even try.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 22, 2009