Re: Need ZoomBrowser Software or Alternative

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Williams, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Von Fourche wrote:
    > I have an old 2.1 mega pixel Canon PowerShot A20 camera. I know it's
    > old and all that but I use it to take quick snap shots and such.
    >
    > Here is the problem. I still have the original cd that contains the
    > ZoomBrowser software but I can not get it to load on my Windows XP machine.
    >
    > When I got the camera my main PC was running Windows ME and it ran
    > ZoomBrowser fine. When I got a new compute with XP I did not load
    > ZoomBrowser on my pc. I let Windows recognize my camera and I let Windows
    > transfer the pictures from my camera to the pc.
    >
    > I had to do a factory restore last week because of a virus. Now I'm
    > trying to again
    > load my pictures on the pc and the pc is not even recognizing the camera.
    > When I turn the
    > camera on my computer does make a "beep" sound but that's all. When I turn
    > the camera off the computer also beeps.
    >
    > Is there any place online that I can download a copy of ZoomBrowser? I'm
    > thinking need drivers on my pc for my camera. But the drivers I downloaded
    > are zip files or something. Windows unzips them and places them in some
    > folder and that's it, I don't think windows installs them.
    >
    > I'm looking for any way to load my picks onto my pc - any software will
    > do as long as
    > it works.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I wouldn't even fool around with Zoombrowser.
    I would buy an inexpensive memory card reader.
    They are very cheap, simple and reliable.
    For Instance, See:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820308008

    If you want to do some editing, IRFANVIEW is a free editor that lots of
    folks in this NG like a lot.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 8, 2008

  2. Bob Williams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:41:44 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't even fool around with Zoombrowser.
    >I would buy an inexpensive memory card reader.
    >They are very cheap, simple and reliable.
    >For Instance, See:
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820308008

    I agree. I don't have a working Canon now, but I did have one. I
    deleted the Zoombrowser software after finding out that it didn't
    offer any advantages and just took up space.

    I'd buy a card reader locally. NewEgg is a good source, but that
    $6.99 shipping charge is ridiculous. Best Buy, Circuit City,
    Wal-Mart, Target, and even drug stores sell card readers. One's as
    good as another.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 8, 2008

  3. Bob Williams

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:31:41 -0500, Von Fourche wrote:

    > "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> Von Fourche wrote:
    >>> I have an old 2.1 mega pixel Canon PowerShot A20 camera. I know it's
    >>> old and all that but I use it to take quick snap shots and such.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the problem. I still have the original cd that contains the
    >>> ZoomBrowser software but I can not get it to load on my Windows XP
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> When I got the camera my main PC was running Windows ME and it ran
    >>> ZoomBrowser fine. When I got a new compute with XP I did not load
    >>> ZoomBrowser on my pc. I let Windows recognize my camera and I let
    >>> Windows
    >>> transfer the pictures from my camera to the pc.
    >>>
    >>> I had to do a factory restore last week because of a virus. Now I'm
    >>> trying to again
    >>> load my pictures on the pc and the pc is not even recognizing the camera.
    >>> When I turn the
    >>> camera on my computer does make a "beep" sound but that's all. When I
    >>> turn the camera off the computer also beeps.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any place online that I can download a copy of ZoomBrowser?
    >>> I'm thinking need drivers on my pc for my camera. But the drivers I
    >>> downloaded are zip files or something. Windows unzips them and places
    >>> them in some folder and that's it, I don't think windows installs them.
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for any way to load my picks onto my pc - any software
    >>> will do as long as
    >>> it works.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't even fool around with Zoombrowser.
    >> I would buy an inexpensive memory card reader.
    >> They are very cheap, simple and reliable.
    >> For Instance, See:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820308008

    > I tried the memory card reader and it works! First time I got one. I
    > wish I bought one
    > a long time ago! Picked it up at Wal-Mart for $13.00
    >
    > Now, what's the best site to put lots of pictures on that only family
    > and invited friends
    > can view? That Flicker site? I was going to upload a bunch of pictures on
    > that site
    > but they wanted $24.00 a year or something. Is it worth it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    This is an easy free site to upload to.
    http://www.imagehost.org/

    Irwell, Sep 9, 2008
  4. Von Fourche <> wrote:

    > Now, what's the best site to put lots of pictures on that only family
    > and invited friends
    > can view? That Flicker site? I was going to upload a bunch of pictures on
    > that site
    > but they wanted $24.00 a year or something. Is it worth it?

    You get extra features in Flickr for the money which they call a "pro"
    account. For sharing pics with family and friends pics most people
    find the free Flickr account is all they need. You get the two
    different catagories of viewable by only family and viewable by only
    family and friends, plus the ability to offer a special temporary
    viewing invitation pass for a specific pic to a specific person.
    There's also a limit of 100MB total image file a month on the free
    version. At the maximum size of free image display (roughly a standard
    full screen image) that's probably about 400 jpegs a month if you size
    them properly.

    Unless some of your audience are serious photographers who want to
    rummage in the pixels of your original source image I'd say the free
    version was all you needed.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Sep 9, 2008
  5. Bob Williams

    milsabords Guest

    Re : Need ZoomBrowser Software or Alternative

    "tony cooper" <> a écrit dans le message de
    groupe de discussion : ...
    > One's as
    > good as another.

    Not always true, e.g. most of them do'nt support SDHC.

    milsabords, Sep 9, 2008
  6. Bob Williams

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:47:35 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : I'd buy a card reader locally. NewEgg is a good source, but that
    : $6.99 shipping charge is ridiculous. Best Buy, Circuit City,
    : Wal-Mart, Target, and even drug stores sell card readers. One's as
    : good as another.

    That's not exactly my experience. In my drive to minimize the weight that I
    carry on trips, I overdid it the last time I bought a card reader. One of
    B&H's no-name offerings, it was light, small, and cheap, and it handled every
    card format known to man. But while I was on vacation in New Jersey last
    month, I somehow managed to break off a piece of plastic that helped guide the
    card to the pins. For a while it was just hard to insert the card; then I must
    have grunched a pin, and it stopped working altogether. Fot the rest of the
    trip I had to download images straight from the camera to my laptop.

    My next reader will be more like the beefy Sandisk I use at home. It's bigger
    and heavier, but absolutely reliable.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 13, 2008
  7. Bob Williams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:14:32 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:47:35 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: I'd buy a card reader locally. NewEgg is a good source, but that
    >: $6.99 shipping charge is ridiculous. Best Buy, Circuit City,
    >: Wal-Mart, Target, and even drug stores sell card readers. One's as
    >: good as another.
    >
    >That's not exactly my experience. In my drive to minimize the weight that I
    >carry on trips, I overdid it the last time I bought a card reader. One of
    >B&H's no-name offerings, it was light, small, and cheap, and it handled every
    >card format known to man. But while I was on vacation in New Jersey last
    >month, I somehow managed to break off a piece of plastic that helped guide the
    >card to the pins. For a while it was just hard to insert the card; then I must
    >have grunched a pin, and it stopped working altogether. Fot the rest of the
    >trip I had to download images straight from the camera to my laptop.
    >
    >My next reader will be more like the beefy Sandisk I use at home. It's bigger
    >and heavier, but absolutely reliable.

    On vacation, in New Jersey, you had to download images because your
    card reader broke?

    Good Lord! New Jersey is not exactly the Amazon basin. You could
    have popped into a camera store or big box store or even a drug store
    and picked up another card reader for about $10/20 and been in
    business again. There's no area of New Jersey where there's no card
    readers available for sale within a few miles. Probably even beefy
    Sandisk readers. There are some cities where you might not venture
    out without an armed escort, but most of New Jersey is civilized.

    Where is your home base, and the part of the country where you feel
    that the selection of card readers is better than in New Jersey?

    I'm using a no-name cheapie that I bought about 2 years ago. Works
    fine.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 13, 2008
  8. Bob Williams

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:43:30 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:14:32 -0400, I <> wrote:
    : >My next reader will be more like the beefy Sandisk I use at home.
    : >It's bigger and heavier, but absolutely reliable.
    : >
    : On vacation, in New Jersey, you had to download images because your
    : card reader broke?

    Yes.

    : Good Lord! New Jersey is not exactly the Amazon basin. You could
    : have popped into a camera store or big box store or even a drug store
    : and picked up another card reader for about $10/20 and been in
    : business again. There's no area of New Jersey where there's no card
    : readers available for sale within a few miles. Probably even beefy
    : Sandisk readers. There are some cities where you might not venture
    : out without an armed escort, but most of New Jersey is civilized.

    Well, I was in Ocean City (let's see if you know New Jersey as well as you
    claim to) at the southeastern corner of the island, on the last half block of
    Central Avenue before it ends at the state park. The downtown area, such as it
    is, is fifty blocks north. My car was stuffed into a narrow basement space on
    the other side of my daughter's minivan. Backing it in there was a major
    effort that I had no desire to repeat. And I was there to take pictures of my
    grandchildren, not to embark on a treasure hunt for the local MegaloMart,
    which was probably on the other side of the bay anyway, real estate in O.C.
    being far too expensive to squander so frivolously. Suffice it to say that the
    time I would have spent on the excursion would have been at least two orders
    of magnitude greater than the time I would have saved by using a card reader
    instead of downloading directly.

    : Where is your home base, and the part of the country where you feel
    : that the selection of card readers is better than in New Jersey?

    Boston, and believe me when I tell you that the selection of everything is
    better here than in that part of NJ. Did you know that Ocean City was founded
    by Methodists and that you can't buy so much as a bottle of wine without going
    off the island?

    I'll stop by Hunt's in Harvard Square for a new reader if I happen to be over
    that way. Otherwise I'll just add it to my 50D order next month.

    : I'm using a no-name cheapie that I bought about 2 years ago. Works
    : fine.

    Maybe I'll send you mine. You can cannibalize it for parts.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 14, 2008
  9. Bob Williams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:31:23 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:43:30 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:14:32 -0400, I <> wrote:
    >: >My next reader will be more like the beefy Sandisk I use at home.
    >: >It's bigger and heavier, but absolutely reliable.
    >: >
    >: On vacation, in New Jersey, you had to download images because your
    >: card reader broke?
    >
    >Yes.
    >
    >: Good Lord! New Jersey is not exactly the Amazon basin. You could
    >: have popped into a camera store or big box store or even a drug store
    >: and picked up another card reader for about $10/20 and been in
    >: business again. There's no area of New Jersey where there's no card
    >: readers available for sale within a few miles. Probably even beefy
    >: Sandisk readers. There are some cities where you might not venture
    >: out without an armed escort, but most of New Jersey is civilized.
    >
    >Well, I was in Ocean City (let's see if you know New Jersey as well as you
    >claim to) at the southeastern corner of the island, on the last half block of
    >Central Avenue before it ends at the state park. The downtown area, such as it
    >is, is fifty blocks north. My car was stuffed into a narrow basement space on
    >the other side of my daughter's minivan. Backing it in there was a major
    >effort that I had no desire to repeat. And I was there to take pictures of my
    >grandchildren, not to embark on a treasure hunt for the local MegaloMart,
    >which was probably on the other side of the bay anyway, real estate in O.C.
    >being far too expensive to squander so frivolously. Suffice it to say that the
    >time I would have spent on the excursion would have been at least two orders
    >of magnitude greater than the time I would have saved by using a card reader
    >instead of downloading directly.

    Your post said that you were on vacation, and vacations usually last
    for several days. If downloading by cable was such a terrible
    inconvenience, you could have gone to a CVS Pharmacy, an Eckerd's, a
    Rite-Aid, or a Sav-On; all of which are located in the Ocean City
    area, and all of which would be likely to carry card readers.

    It's no big deal that you didn't, but the option was there for you.

    >>: Where is your home base, and the part of the country where you feel

    >: that the selection of card readers is better than in New Jersey?
    >
    >Boston, and believe me when I tell you that the selection of everything is
    >better here than in that part of NJ. Did you know that Ocean City was founded
    >by Methodists and that you can't buy so much as a bottle of wine without going
    >off the island?
    >
    >I'll stop by Hunt's in Harvard Square for a new reader if I happen to be over
    >that way. Otherwise I'll just add it to my 50D order next month.

    I have never been to Ocean City, but I have been to Boston many times.
    Boston may have a better selection, but finding the place that sells
    it can be an unsurmountable task for someone who is a visitor to
    Boston. I have driven for hours in Boston with my destination in
    sight, but unable to find a street that leads to that destination. All
    streets lead to a one-way street going back to where you started.
    The only way to find something in Boston is to tie a cow to one's
    bumper and let the cow pull the car.

    The cow might lead you in a meandering path to the location, but you
    might have to go through a rotary to get there. If I had to drive in
    Boston very often, and go around rotaries very often, I'd get slip
    covers for my car seats to protect them from involuntary discharges of
    bodily wastes.

    One time, when I went to Boston, I stayed in a hotel near Fenway Park.
    My wife and I went to dinner at a place recommended by some friends.
    Some hole-in-the-wall, out-of-the-way place that looked like it had an
    appointment the next morning with a wrecking ball, but great food.
    *Great* food. I got lost going back to the hotel and ended up in a
    very bad neighborhood. I spotted a police squadrol, and blinked my
    lights and honked my horn to try to get him to stop so I could ask
    directions to Fenway (knowing I could find the hotel if I could find
    Fenway). He wouldn't stop. Finally, I pulled around him and cut in
    front of him so he couldn't go forward. The cop sat in the squadrol
    and waited for me to come to the window, cranked down the window about
    3" inches, and then gave me wrong directions. I've been a Yankee fan
    ever since and I don't even like baseball.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 14, 2008
  10. Bob Williams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:32:13 -0500, Doug McDonald
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >

    >> I have never been to Ocean City, but I have been to Boston many times.
    >> Boston may have a better selection, but finding the place that sells
    >> it can be an unsurmountable task for someone who is a visitor to
    >> Boston. I have driven for hours in Boston with my destination in
    >> sight, but unable to find a street that leads to that destination. All
    >> streets lead to a one-way street going back to where you started.
    >> The only way to find something in Boston is to tie a cow to one's
    >> bumper and let the cow pull the car.
    >>

    >That's becuase the streets were actually DESIGNED by cows. Well,
    >at least Mass Ave was.

    Gee. I didn't know that. What a wild coincidence for me to bring up
    being led by a cow.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 14, 2008
  11. On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:32:13 -0500, Doug McDonald
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >

    >> I have never been to Ocean City, but I have been to Boston many times.
    >> Boston may have a better selection, but finding the place that sells
    >> it can be an unsurmountable task for someone who is a visitor to
    >> Boston. I have driven for hours in Boston with my destination in
    >> sight, but unable to find a street that leads to that destination. All
    >> streets lead to a one-way street going back to where you started.
    >> The only way to find something in Boston is to tie a cow to one's
    >> bumper and let the cow pull the car.
    >>

    >That's becuase the streets were actually DESIGNED by cows. Well,
    >at least Mass Ave was.
    >
    >I lived in Cambridge for four years. You are correct about Boston, but
    >it is worse:
    >
    >1) if you get there, you had to double park, if you were lucky,
    >triple park if not.
    >
    >2) I drove about 30 miles in Boston proper, and had five accidents ...
    >all rear ended by some Boston bozo driver. That's one accident
    >every 6 miles. After that, I took the subway. Cambridge was no problem.
    >
    >Doug McDonald

    Since this subject has drifted off so badly from original, and these
    two posts bring back some memories, I'll add my comments. I had to
    spend some time in Boston while in the Navy, back in the early 1950's.
    We used to joke about people who would come up to a stop sign, and not
    stop but pull out in front of anyone. It was decreed we should not
    let them see us looking at them, they would then know we saw them.
    The stated only way to force them to give you the right of way was to
    not look at them - if you had the courage to risk it.

    Olin McDaniel
    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 14, 2008