Re: Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sandy58, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >    Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
    > do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.

    Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
    http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
    beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
    installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
    beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
    From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
    compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
    Good luck

    sandy58, Dec 15, 2008

  2. sandy58

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > sandy58 wrote:
    >> On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
    >>> do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.

    >> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
    >> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
    >>
    >> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
    >> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
    >> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
    >> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
    >> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
    >> Good luck

    > I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
    > Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
    > thumb drive.
    > Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not support
    > Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.

    81.98 is probably the last Win98 driver. Supported Nvidia cards
    are listed here.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html

    The driver page itself.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

    In hardware these days, all you can really count on is
    WinXP and Vista support, and even the WinXP support can
    be half-hearted at times.

    The solution is simple - pull the Nvidia 8400GS and install
    an Nvidia 6xxx series card instead. The first one is only $20.
    If your machine is AGP, there are fewer good choices
    still in production. (There'll be a similar situation
    with ATI, and some of the more desirable cards with
    AGP interfaces, aren't going to have Win98 drivers.
    They don't even have Win2K drivers, which is the OS
    on my other machine.)

    6600 PCI Express x16
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187048

    6200 AGP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269

    I did install Win98 on my current machine (which I'm typing on
    right now). I got the oldest IDE disk I own, a 4GB drive,
    and installed Win98SE. It all installed, and I'm running
    Win98 using one of the two cores on a Core2 processor. The Device
    Manager is just as clean as it is in WinXP. My video card
    is an ATI 9800Pro AGP, and there is a Win98 driver for that.
    A nice mix of the old and the new... :) And no, I don't
    regularly use Win98, it was just a project to keep me busy.
    The motherboard uses a VIA chipset. That old disk only seems
    to manage about 20MB/sec in a benchmark.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 16, 2008