Re: Need substitutes for AVG and AdAware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sittingduck, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. sittingduck

    sittingduck Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    > First AdAware, and now AVG, have ended support for Windows 98 in their
    > new versions. Can someone please suggest good freeware replacements for
    > those two on my Win98SE machine?
    > I've still got Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and SuperAntiSpyware running and
    > updated. Is that good enough until I finally upgrade to XP?

    Get the clueless fuckers away from your computer, and you'll need none of
    that horseshit.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

    sittingduck, Jun 3, 2009

  2. sittingduck wrote:
    > DemoDisk wrote:
    >
    >> First AdAware, and now AVG, have ended support for Windows 98 in their
    >> new versions. Can someone please suggest good freeware replacements for
    >> those two on my Win98SE machine?
    >> I've still got Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and SuperAntiSpyware running and
    >> updated. Is that good enough until I finally upgrade to XP?

    > Get the clueless fuckers away from your computer, and you'll need none of
    > that horseshit.

    If you're running 98 you are running old iron. Consider using a
    lightweight Linux - perhaps Kubuntu or Linux XFCE. You will not regret it.

    Caulfield Man, Jun 3, 2009

  3. sittingduck

    Andy Guest

    Caulfield Man wrote:

    > sittingduck wrote:
    >> DemoDisk wrote:
    >>
    >>> First AdAware, and now AVG, have ended support for Windows 98 in their
    >>> new versions. Can someone please suggest good freeware replacements for
    >>> those two on my Win98SE machine?
    >>> I've still got Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and SuperAntiSpyware running and
    >>> updated. Is that good enough until I finally upgrade to XP?

    >> Get the clueless fuckers away from your computer, and you'll need none of
    >> that horseshit.
    >>

    > If you're running 98 you are running old iron. Consider using a
    > lightweight Linux - perhaps Kubuntu or Linux XFCE. You will not regret it.

    IME Kubuntu can't be considered 'lightweight'. It's noticeablly slower
    than regular Ubuntu (particularly under 9.04) on older hardware.
    Xubuntu would probably be the pick for the OP (depending on how old
    the hardware is). Anything would be better than Win98 though.

    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/