Re: Need sata power cable, Have data cable.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > I found one for hard drive. Is the same one used for Sata DVD burner?

    Yep, just like the old IDE data cable worked for both hard drive and
    CD/DVD drive, too.

    Alas another so-called freebie Teranews users where the cost is they
    spamify every one of your posts through their server, and without the
    consideration of sticking their crap in a signature but instead in the
    body of your post. You have elected to be their spam associate.

    VanguardLH, Nov 23, 2008

  2. VanguardLH

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:50:53 -0500, wrote:

    >Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
    >scroll down.

    Instead of also wasting space, add a signature - the appropriate
    signature deliminiator - two dashes and a space, ie

    Evan Platt, Nov 24, 2008

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:50:53 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
    >>scroll down.

    > Instead of also wasting space, add a signature - the appropriate
    > signature deliminiator - two dashes and a space, ie

    Hmm, might adding a sigdash line (for the delimiter for your signature)
    then force Tera's appended spam trash to be within the signature? That
    would assuage many readers that don't care for spamified posts (because
    they can elect to truncate or dim the signature section).

    VanguardLH, Nov 24, 2008
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:30:20 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I found one for hard drive. Is the same one used for Sata DVD burner?

    >>Yep, just like the old IDE data cable worked for both hard drive and
    >>CD/DVD drive, too.

    >>Alas another so-called freebie Teranews users where the cost is they
    >>spamify every one of your posts through their server, and without the
    >>consideration of sticking their crap in a signature but instead in the
    >>body of your post. You have elected to be their spam associate.

    > Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
    > scroll down.
    > http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...id=896&zenid=ebb3e14270798d1beef8bb8abfa6c889
    >
    > This is the one that seems to be ok. I guess the sata board has spare
    > 4 pin molex plug availability?
    > I guess the connections will manifest themselves once I am in the
    > computer.

    There is the SATA data cable. And there is the SATA power cable. See
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200708/LGGSAH62N_sata2.jpg (power
    cable on left, data cable on right). If your power supply has no SATA
    power connectors then, yes, you need to get the Molex adapter.

    When I build a host, I include a PSU with the necessary connector types
    for both the hardware that I am putting inside the box plus connector
    types for other hardware that I am likely to add later. Some PSUs are
    even modular in that you only need to plug in the cables that you need
    to use with the current hardware configuration but they tend to be much
    pricier than a PSU that includes full complement of connector types
    (which makes the cable bundle much larger and you have to wire tie the
    unused cables out of the way).

    So you might want to look inside at the cables from the PSU to see if it
    already includes SATA power connectors. If it was a prebuilt, the PSU
    is minimal and designed to handle only the hardware that is installed in
    the host or with extremely few spare connectors of other types if
    hardware can be selected in a pre-build config that includes that other
    hardware. Don't expect much expandability with pre-built hosts to
    accommodate future hardware additions or changes.

    VanguardLH, Nov 24, 2008