Re: Need link to an online scanner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > Anyone got a link to online virus scanners which will work with Windows
    > 98 SE? My systems going to hell day by day and I'm thinking it's *got*
    > to be a virus.

    No. First eliminate the obvious causes:
    1. Programs running slowing your computer down.

    start->run and type: msconfig <enter>
    click on "create backup" and then ok obviously. Set it to "Selective
    startup if it isn't already. Remove the checkmark beside "Load Startup
    Group Items" click apply and Ok. When windows comes back see if the
    problem is solved. If it is, then your problem *was* the startup programs.
    You need to decide which (none is optimal) you *have* to run. None of them
    are required for windows to work, at least *one* of them is causing your
    problem and some may be needed for some hardware you *may* have which has
    "questioable" drivers/software.

    If this *didn't* fix the problem, you can undo it with:

    start->run and type msconfig <enter>
    click "restore backup" and agree to overwrite and reboot after.

    2. Problems with your hard drive:

    start->programs->accessories->system tools->scandisk.

    make sure that drive C: is highlighted, set it to "Thorough" and uncheck
    "Automatically fix errors" if it is. Click start and come back in a couple
    of hours. If there are no bad sectors listed in the summary, tham that
    *wasn't* the problem, And hardware failure of some other sort is likely.
    To test this, you need to have your computer tested with diagnostics by a
    technician.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 18, 2008