Re: Need link to an online scanner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > Anyone got a link to online virus scanners which will work with Windows
    > 98 SE? My systems going to hell day by day and I'm thinking it's *got*
    > to be a virus.
    > I've reread old posts saved from 24HS.HD and used the links to Kaspersky
    > and Trend Micro's HouseCall. Win98SE doesn't qualify for either of
    > those.
    > I've also tried BitDefender and -- after lo-o-ng loading of the database
    > via dialup -- it tells me "BitDefender failed to update the virus
    > database. Although it might be possible to check for viruses, the result
    > will probably be innacurate. Do you want to start scanning?"
    > What's happening is that Windows freezes, immediately or eventually,
    > multiple windows or just one, and I'm forced to use Task Manager, which
    > also hangs. Then I get BSODs (usually two) that tell me "Windows is
    > waiting for the Close Program dialog box to be displayed." Then,
    > "WARNING! The system is either busy or has become unstable. You can wait
    > and see if it becomes available again or you can restart..." etc.
    > My scans with AVG and SUPERantispyware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster
    > always come up clean, except for 3 reading errors in AVG.
    > I rarely have what you'd call a "normal" session now, and I've copied
    > error and problem msgs from Win98SE and Scandisk if anyone can help with
    > this problem. Oh, and I can't get email as of 2 days ago; OE is now
    > demanding my long forgotten password.
    > Anyway, this is what's facing me every time I use the system. Think it's
    > a virus?
    > MANY thanks for help with this mess,
    > JPM

    Up front... if you have Windows9x, you may just be up for a format and
    clean install. Been there and done that. It's why I *love* XP so much,
    'cause it just goes like the Energizer Bunny... that said :

    Should work... or maybe one of these :

    And here's the Honorable Ron Martell's link :

    Suggest you boot into safe mode and then
    try the housecall link... It may have boogabooed
    your browser... perhaps not, depending on the type
    of "virus"... worth a try. Maybe you have Firefox.

    From housecall's link :

    Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 98SE/NT4.0,SP6a/2000,SP2/XP,SP1/2003 and Windows MCE 2005
    Linux Distributions that supports libc6
    Solaris 2.6 and above

    Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0 or later
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5, 1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.5
    Mozilla 1.7.12

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2008