Re: Need link to an online scanner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > Anyone got a link to online virus scanners which will work with Windows
    > 98 SE? My systems going to hell day by day and I'm thinking it's *got*
    > to be a virus.
    >
    > I've reread old posts saved from 24HS.HD and used the links to Kaspersky
    > and Trend Micro's HouseCall. Win98SE doesn't qualify for either of
    > those.
    >
    > I've also tried BitDefender and -- after lo-o-ng loading of the database
    > via dialup -- it tells me "BitDefender failed to update the virus
    > database. Although it might be possible to check for viruses, the result
    > will probably be innacurate. Do you want to start scanning?"
    >
    > What's happening is that Windows freezes, immediately or eventually,
    > multiple windows or just one, and I'm forced to use Task Manager, which
    > also hangs. Then I get BSODs (usually two) that tell me "Windows is
    > waiting for the Close Program dialog box to be displayed." Then,
    > "WARNING! The system is either busy or has become unstable. You can wait
    > and see if it becomes available again or you can restart..." etc.
    >
    > My scans with AVG and SUPERantispyware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster
    > always come up clean, except for 3 reading errors in AVG.
    >
    > I rarely have what you'd call a "normal" session now, and I've copied
    > error and problem msgs from Win98SE and Scandisk if anyone can help with
    > this problem. Oh, and I can't get email as of 2 days ago; OE is now
    > demanding my long forgotten password.
    >
    > Anyway, this is what's facing me every time I use the system. Think it's
    > a virus?
    >
    > MANY thanks for help with this mess,
    > JPM

    Up front... if you have Windows9x, you may just be up for a format and
    clean install. Been there and done that. It's why I *love* XP so much,
    'cause it just goes like the Energizer Bunny... that said :

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Should work... or maybe one of these :

    http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/?

    http://home.mcafee.com/Downloads/FreeScan.aspx

    And here's the Honorable Ron Martell's link :

    Suggest you boot into safe mode and then
    try the housecall link... It may have boogabooed
    your browser... perhaps not, depending on the type
    of "virus"... worth a try. Maybe you have Firefox.

    From housecall's link :

    Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 98SE/NT4.0,SP6a/2000,SP2/XP,SP1/2003 and Windows MCE 2005
    Linux Distributions that supports libc6
    Solaris 2.6 and above

    Software:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0 or later
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5, 1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.5
    Mozilla 1.7.12

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/11/6haynes.html

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2008