Re: Need help with slow computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
    > Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
    > memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
    > Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
    > find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
    > iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
    > so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
    > efficient? Thanks for any help

    I seriously doubt that 512 is the limit on that machine. I could be wrong,
    but I think you can go to at least 2G, and probably 4G of (I think) PC133.
    Your processor is slow, and I assume you have loaded Service Pack 3. You
    need RAM. Really what you need is a new motherboard and processor, and you
    can get a good board, CPU, and 4G of way faster RAM for about $200.
    Jeff Strickland, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
    >> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
    >> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and
    >> run Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I
    >> often find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3
    >> versions of iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to
    >> leave it in memory so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
    >>
    >> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
    >> efficient? Thanks for any help

    > I seriously doubt that 512 is the limit on that machine.

    The Compaq Presario 5000 series:
    Max Supported RAM, 512 MB. Installed Cache Memory, 128 KB

    Neil Green, Feb 23, 2010