Re: Need help with slow computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Neil Green, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
    > Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
    > memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
    > Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
    > find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
    > iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
    > so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
    > efficient? Thanks for any help

    Are you running IE8?
    Neil Green, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Neil Green

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Feb 23, 11:33 am, (Jack) wrote:
    > Yes, I am using IE8
    >
    > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:26:40 +1100, "Neil Green"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Jack wrote:
    > >> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP.   It has an
    > >> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and  I have increased the
    > >> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM.   I have defragged and run
    > >> Ad-Aware.  I run C Cleaner often.  When I run Task Scheduler, I often
    > >> find that the memory is loaded.   I frequently find 2-3 versions of
    > >> iexplore.exe.  Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
    > >> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.

    > >> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
    > >> efficient?  Thanks for any help

    > >Are you running IE8?

    SpeedyPC http://www.speedypc.com/lps/speedypc/index.htm

    may show the bottleneck(s) OR use linux :)
    gnu / linux, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Yes, I am using IE8

    The tabbed browsing and crash recovery features of IE8 use considerable
    resources, particularly on an older PC with limited RAM.
    I suggest you run an earlier version of IE.

    Neil Green, Feb 23, 2010
  4. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Thanks for the insight, Neil. Do you know why I find 2-3 iexplore.exe
    > in the list of processes that are running in Task Manager? They each
    > take a large amount of space.

    The most likely cause is a trojan, worm or other Malware.
    Do a thorough scan of your PC.

    Neil Green, Feb 24, 2010