Re: Need help Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "StarCad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been to this group.
    >
    > I need some help, I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 P3 20 gig HD running Win98
    >
    > There is a bad sector ( long file name )on the hard drive preventing it

    from
    > booting. I've tried to replace the hard drive with a drive from Toshiba
    > (supposed to be the same make and model ) but it will not recognize the

    new
    > drive.
    >
    > If I try to fdisk and reformat the old drive it says the boot sector

    cannot
    > be found and then asks to abort,retry,fail.
    >
    > Does Toshiba prevent me from reformatting this drive somehow? Why will it
    > not recognize the new drive?
    >
    > Any help at this point would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks - Guy Fuller

    In addition to all of the other good ideas already given there is one tool
    that can almost always recover a disk from damage like this. It's called
    SpinRite and it can fix almost anything as long as the drive can be
    recovered at all.
    You can find it for $89.00 at http://grc.com
    There is also the fact that the drive may still be in warranty. Get the
    numbers off of it and go the manufacturer's site to see.

    AG

    AG, Sep 7, 2004

  2. AG

    radical Guest

    "AG" <> wrote in message

    > "StarCad" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been to this group.
    >>
    >> I need some help, I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 P3 20 gig HD running Win98
    >>
    >> There is a bad sector ( long file name )on the hard drive preventing it

    > from
    >> booting. I've tried to replace the hard drive with a drive from Toshiba
    >> (supposed to be the same make and model ) but it will not recognize the

    > new
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> If I try to fdisk and reformat the old drive it says the boot sector

    > cannot
    >> be found and then asks to abort,retry,fail.
    >>
    >> Does Toshiba prevent me from reformatting this drive somehow? Why will
    >> it
    >> not recognize the new drive?
    >>
    >> Any help at this point would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks - Guy Fuller

    > In addition to all of the other good ideas already given there is one tool
    > that can almost always recover a disk from damage like this. It's called
    > SpinRite and it can fix almost anything as long as the drive can be
    > recovered at all.
    > You can find it for $89.00 at http://grc.com
    > There is also the fact that the drive may still be in warranty. Get the
    > numbers off of it and go the manufacturer's site to see.
    >
    > AG

    I agree,I work for Toshiba and we use SpinRite on our in-house laptops as a
    last resort.

    radical, Sep 8, 2004