Re: Need help Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John Loop, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. John Loop

    John Loop Guest

    "BertS" <> wrote in message
    > StarCad wrote:
    > > Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been to this group.
    > >
    > > I need some help, I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 P3 20 gig HD running Win98
    > >
    > > There is a bad sector ( long file name )on the hard drive preventing it

    from
    > > booting. I've tried to replace the hard drive with a drive from Toshiba
    > > (supposed to be the same make and model ) but it will not recognize the

    new
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > If I try to fdisk and reformat the old drive it says the boot sector

    cannot
    > > be found and then asks to abort,retry,fail.
    > >
    > > Does Toshiba prevent me from reformatting this drive somehow? Why will

    it
    > > not recognize the new drive?
    > >
    > > Any help at this point would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks - Guy Fuller
    > >

    > Try this: get a win98 boot disk and make sure it has a file called

    debug.exe
    > after you have booted with it.
    >
    > <quoted from one of my messages dated back in 2000 in this newsgroup. The
    > original comes from a message in the OS/2 Fidonet conference and I don't
    > remember who to thank for this>
    >
    > Next time you run into this problem get a copy of real DOS, boot the
    > system with it and use the following DEBUG script to wipe the boot
    > sector. This routine will do a COMPLETE wipe of the boot sector (great
    > for getting rid of drive overlay code, boot sector viruses, Linux LILO
    > code, etc.:
    >
    > a:\>DEBUG
    > - f 200 L200 0
    > - a 100
    > xxxx:0100 mov ax,301 (ignore segment:eek:ffset values at left)
    > xxxx:0103 mov bx,200
    > xxxx:0106 mov cx,1
    > xxxx:0109 mov dx,0080 (0080=C:, 0081=D:, 0082=E:, etc.)
    > xxxx:010C int 13
    > xxxx:010E int 3
    > xxxx:010F (press ENTER an extra time here)
    > - d 100 LF
    > xxxx:0100 B8 01 03 BB 00 02 B9 01-00 BA 80 00 CD 13 CC
    > (make sure that hex values match above line before proceeding)
    > (if values do not match, type Q and start over)
    > (BA 80 00 should be BA 81 00 for Drive D:, BA 82 00 for E:, etc.)
    > - g=100
    > (ignore register display)
    > - q (quit back to DOS)
    >
    > FDISK should now show "No partitions defined".
    >
    > You might want to file this one away for future reference.
    >
    > <End of quote>
    >
    > Any version of debug.exe will work but you must boot from a floppy to run

    it.
    > debug.exe is a DOS utility and what this does is to hand assenble a

    program
    > that will blank out track 0 sector 0 of the drive. Then you run it (the

    g=100
    > line) and it puts zero in 0:0 for 512 bytes.
    >
    > This __may__ fix your problem as long as track 0 sector 0 is still viable.

    If
    > it has been thrashed (unlikely in the replacement drive) then you need to

    find
    > a new, good drrive.
    >
    > By the way, is there a drive select jumper in that drive? Coud it be set

    > select the drive as the second drive?
    >
    > Do let me know if it works.
    >
    > Bert

    I think you can also boot knoppix (linux) from CDROM, and then do a DD to
    clean boot sector.
    Knoppix is GREAT for this stuff. You have access to "cfdisk" "qtparted" ,
    "partimage" "dd" all kinds of stuff.....
    I have not personally cleaned it, but have copied, written MBR using this.
    You may need to mount drive first....
    "dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda count=1 bs=512" might work....
    John
    --
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    John Loop, Sep 7, 2004