Re: Need help to close ports

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Baron, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > For Win2k, ports 135 and 1025 are still open despite disabling a
    > bunch
    > of "services" and removing network "client for M$ network" and "file
    > and printer sharing for M$ network".
    > Unwanted "services" disabled: Alerter, Messenger, .NET Runtime
    > Optimization Service, AMD PowerNow! Technology Service, ClipBook, COM+
    > Event System, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Distributed
    > Transaction Coordinator, Fax Service, Office Source Engine, Routing
    > and Remote Access, Smart Card, Smart Card Helper, Telnet,
    > Uninterruptible Power Supply, and Wireless Configuration.
    >
    > What else can be done to fix those 2 port problems?

    Are you using a router ? If so can't you close those ports there.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Baron

    JD Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > **
    > Thanks for the FPORT reference!
    > **
    > I am on dial-up; AFAIK there is no way to use a router.
    > FPORT indicated that port 1025 was open due to the task scheduler, so
    > i changed that to Manual and now it is closed.
    > BUT..port 135 is open after boot-up via svchost and i cannot stop that.
    > Is there a way to prevent DCOM service control manager from running -
    > or stealth port 135?

    It's not a simple operation to close that, simplest way would be to use
    a firewall rule, which OS is it btw XP ?

    Here's an article that explain the problem and how to solve it.

    http://www.keyfocus.net/kfsensor/help/AdminGuide/adm_RPC.php

    you should ignore the part about the blaster worm (unless you have
    reason to believe you may have it.)

    JD

    JD, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>
    >>> For Win2k, ports 135 and 1025 are still open despite disabling a
    >>> bunch
    >>> of "services" and removing network "client for M$ network" and "file
    >>> and printer sharing for M$ network".
    >>> Unwanted "services" disabled: Alerter, Messenger, .NET Runtime
    >>> Optimization Service, AMD PowerNow! Technology Service, ClipBook,
    >>> COM+ Event System, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Distributed
    >>> Transaction Coordinator, Fax Service, Office Source Engine, Routing
    >>> and Remote Access, Smart Card, Smart Card Helper, Telnet,
    >>> Uninterruptible Power Supply, and Wireless Configuration.
    >>>
    >>> What else can be done to fix those 2 port problems?

    >> Are you using a router ? If so can't you close those ports there.
    >>

    > **
    > Thanks for the FPORT reference!
    > **
    > I am on dial-up; AFAIK there is no way to use a router.
    > FPORT indicated that port 1025 was open due to the task scheduler,
    > so
    > i changed that to Manual and now it is closed.
    > BUT..port 135 is open after boot-up via svchost and i cannot stop
    > that. Is there a way to prevent DCOM service control manager from
    > running -
    > or stealth port 135?

    In XP I think that you can tell the firewall to ignore that port.
    An alternative is to use something like IpCop, which is a Linux
    Distribution designed to be used as just a firewall. It also requires
    that you have an old PC kicking around that you can press into service.
    I have clients that use it very effectively.

    Even better run Linux...

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Baron

    JD Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > The OS i have this problem is Win 2000 (the Win98SE i have seems
    > bulletproof).

    Hi Again

    Win2k was my favourite windows OS I used it for years, Regarding port
    135 you are right to want to close it however most ISP's block this port
    for you usually without telling you, it is far easier to install a
    firewall than to close that port, I used to use a program called tiny
    firewall as the name suggests its a lightweight small application that
    does firewall blocking only.

    As for win98, you do realise it has no security whatsoever ? and if you
    don't turn off the file sharing which is on by default you can simply
    walk into that OS, install whatever you like or take whatever you like
    from it, the password systems a joke seriously who was the genius who
    decided you could cancel a password to get into the system lol

    JD

    JD, Dec 8, 2009