Re: Need help connecting router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Big_Al, Nov 29, 2008.

  1. Big_Al

    Big_Al Guest

    Guv Bob wrote:
    > Greetings! I would appreciate some really basic help in connecting a new Netgear Model WGR612 v7 router.
    >
    > Where do I find out the following info?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > Enter your Internet IP Address
    > 1. Get Dynamically From ISP (this choice doesn't work)
    > or
    > 2. Use Static IP Address (where to find this info?)
    > -- IP Address
    > -- IP Subnet Mask
    > -- Gateway IP Address
    >
    > QUESTION 4
    > Domain Name Server (DNS)
    >
    > 1. Address Get Automatically From ISP (this choice doesn't work)
    > or
    > 2. Use These DNS Servers: (where to find this info?)
    > -- Primary DNS
    > -- Secondary DNS
    >
    > QUESTION 5
    > Router MAC Address
    >
    > 1. Use Default Address (this choice doesn't work)
    > or
    > 2. Use Computer MAC Address (this choice doesn't work)
    > or
    > 3. Use This MAC Address (where to find this info?)

    Ask your provider. Each has their own setup.
    My first guess would be to set it to 'Get IP from ISP' and 'Get DNS from
    ISP', and use default MAC. The 2nd part of your problem is that the
    ISP may have to activate the router. Some (ISP's) won't just let you
    put one on the internet willy nilly.

    3rd and most important, you don't give us much info other than you are
    hooking up a netgear router. Hook up to what? DSL, CABLE, FIOS,
    Directly to a cable, after a cable box? What?

    Big_Al, Nov 29, 2008