Re: Need basic web building course either online or as a book

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2009.

  1. T wrote:

    > I have been given the task of building the intranet pages for my
    > section at work. I do not have any HTML skills. I need a course
    > either online or as a book I can buy.

    http://htmldog.com/ is oft recommended as one of the better tutorials
    for learning basic HTML and CSS. (Do not forget CSS.)

    > The only tools I will have is Office 2007 which does not include Front
    > Page or any tool I can download for free or buy cheaply.

    Ooh, never use an Office product to make web pages. Nor MS Publisher.
    They churn out the absolute *worst* HTML you'd ever find.

    > The company will not buy Dreamweaver.

    Probably a Good Thingâ„¢.

    > The company isn't too bothered about what it looks like, it is only
    > for internal use. As a matter of pride, I would like to make a
    > decent job of it. I don't see myself hand coding HTML in notepad.

    "Hand-coding" is the way to get the best results. Use a better text
    editor. Since you are Windows, I'd suggest Crimson Editor.
    http://crimsoneditor.com/
    It is a great editor and project manager. Color-coded syntax and all
    that.

    > Can anyone advise where to start?

    Many have recommended this WYSIWYG tool for amateurs:
    http://kompozer.net/
    It is a standalone, updated version of the Mozilla Composer spinoff
    called Nvu, which is no longer in development.

    Do understand that WYSIWYG tools never really are.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2009