Re: Need basic web building course either online or as a book

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Holmes, May 23, 2009.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have been given the task of building the intranet pages for my
    > section at work. I do not have any HTML skills. I need a course
    > either online or as a book I can buy. The only tools I will have is
    > Office 2007 which does not include Front Page or any tool I can
    > download for free or buy cheaply. The company will not buy
    > Dreamweaver. The company isn't too bothered about what it looks like,
    > it is only for internal use. As a matter of pride, I would like to
    > make a decent job of it. I don't see myself hand coding HTML in
    > notepad. Can anyone advise where to start?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Have a look here:

    http://www.stormthecastle.com/mainpages/frontpage_express/frontpage_expre
    ss_index.htm

    You'll get the software and a starter's manual. For free.

    But then again, your website will not be worth looking at, so follow the
    other advise already given and hire a professional to do the job.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, May 23, 2009

  2. John Holmes

    rf Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > T "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I have been given the task of building the intranet pages for my
    >> section at work. I do not have any HTML skills. I need a course
    >> either online or as a book I can buy. The only tools I will have is
    >> Office 2007 which does not include Front Page or any tool I can
    >> download for free or buy cheaply. The company will not buy
    >> Dreamweaver. The company isn't too bothered about what it looks like,
    >> it is only for internal use. As a matter of pride, I would like to
    >> make a decent job of it. I don't see myself hand coding HTML in
    >> notepad. Can anyone advise where to start?
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > Have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.stormthecastle.com/mainpages/frontpage_express/frontpage_express_index.htm

    Go over to http://microsoft.com and search for "frontpage express". Admire
    how Microsoft has totally discontinued support for this dogpile, even to
    having the windows 2000 install (yes, it's that old) automatically remove it
    from your computer for you. If *they* really don't like do you really think
    you should use it?

    > You'll get the software and a starter's manual. For free.

    And you will get *exactly* what you pay for.

    > But then again, your website will not be worth looking at, so follow
    > the other advise already given and hire a professional to do the job.

    Indeed.
    rf, May 23, 2009