Re: Need advice re VOIP supplier

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Spence" <spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need some advice/recommendations for a VOIP supplier. This will be in
    > addition to and not in place of our current landline.
    >
    > I have a Draytek 2800V router so can plug an ordinary phone to the
    > internet (specifically didn't want a PC soft phone). Would like to call
    > other VOIP users (for free, preferably) and particularly have a couple
    > of contacts who use Skype, so would like to connect to Skype
    > subscribers for free if possible.
    >
    > Googled for VOIP service providers, but there are so many I don't know
    > where to start (the words Printout, Blindfold and Dart come to mind).
    >
    > Suggestions welcomed please.
    >
    > --
    > Spence
    > Computing Services - because IT needn't be difficult
    > http://www.compservonline.co.uk/
    > Replace at and dot with their symbols to email

    Here is my recommendation, ideally you will need an ATA,
    or VOIP enabled router that supports two accounts,
    I don't know if the 2800V does.

    For incoming calls from the PSTN get an account from

    http://www.sipgate.co.uk

    They will give you a UK geographic telephone
    number for any STD code of your choice and it won't
    cost a bean if you don't buy talk-time

    For outgoing calls I use one of the "Betamax clones"
    you might have heard of during your Googling, viz.

    http://www.smslisto.com

    You buy credit 10.60 euros and calls to UK mobiles
    are less the 5 pence per min. Calls to UK landlines are
    free providing you haven't made more than 300 minuets-
    worth of them in the preceding 7 days. (Then you get charged
    about a penny/min)
    Look at the international rates yourself, many are free.

    Skype it a preparatory protocol that has gained a popularity
    it does not deserve IMHO. "Skype Out" calls are not particularly
    cheap.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Mar 6, 2009

  2. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Actually Spence, giving you that reply inspired me to try
    something, and now I can make calls via Betamax and receive
    calls via Sipgate on a device with only one account.

    For those interested, device registered to Betamax as normal
    Sipgate account(s) registered to pbxes.org
    inbound route diverting to sip uri

    It works a treat, and I imagine mysipswitch would work
    equally well, as would voxalot, if you pay for a registration.

    I'm just kicking myself for not sussing this out ages ago.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Mar 6, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk> wrote:

    >My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
    >(presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

    I think there are Skype deskphones now, but if they had both Skype and
    SIP functionality, I think they'd be onto a winner ...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Graham.

    Bodincus Guest

    Gordon Henderson:
    > In article <>,
    > Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk> wrote:
    >
    >> My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
    >> (presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

    > I think there are Skype deskphones now, but if they had both Skype and
    > SIP functionality, I think they'd be onto a winner ...
    >
    > Gordon

    Skype won't let a manufacturer have their proprietary protocol AND an
    open protocol like SIP on the same device.
    Philips couldn't integrate SIP on their own Skype / MSN phone because
    Skype forbid them. If Philips can't make it, who will?
    Forget it, on the same device - never.

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    |Linux *is* user friendly.|
    |It's just selective about|
    | who its friends are. |
    Bodincus, Mar 6, 2009
  5. Graham.

    kkm Guest

    In article <>,
    Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcodotuk@?.?> writes

    >My particular beef with Skype is the requirement to use a softphone
    >(presumably due to the proprietary protocol).

    You can buy a usb VOIP adapter from a supplier like UConnect quite
    cheaply, which lets you use an ordinary phone with Skype, in my case a
    DECT phone.

    I use Skype for outgoing calls, as they only charge me a flat fee of 3p
    a call to UK geographic numbers. I don't make many calls to mobiles, so
    services like smslisto don't work out cheaper for me, although they are
    excellent services if you do make lots of calls to mobiles. I use
    voipfone for all my incoming traffic, as I was able to port my existing
    BT number to them which was important to me

    --
    Kevin
    kkm, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Graham.

    Iain Guest

    kkm wrote:

    > I use Skype for outgoing calls, as they only charge me a flat fee of 3p
    > a call to UK geographic numbers. I don't make many calls to mobiles, so
    > services like smslisto don't work out cheaper for me

    Eh?I think you should look at smslisto pricing again.

    You buy 10 euros of credit, and that gets you 90 days of free calls to
    UK geographic numbers, then when the 90 free calls runs out, it uses the
    10 euros up at about one cent a minute.

    The result is that you pay far, far less than 3p per call, unless you
    make very few calls indeed. Even if you never call mobiles, it is
    cheaper than skype.
    Iain, Mar 9, 2009
  7. Graham.

    sipSdkGuru Guest

    On Mar 9, 3:13 pm, Iain <> wrote:
    > kkm wrote:
    > > I use Skype for outgoing calls, as they only charge me a flat fee of 3p
    > > a call to UK geographic numbers. I don't make many calls to mobiles, so
    > > services like smslisto don't work out cheaper for me

    > Eh?I think you should look at smslisto pricing again.
    >
    > You buy 10 euros of credit, and that gets you 90 days of free calls to
    > UK geographic numbers, then when the 90 free calls runs out, it uses the
    > 10 euros up at about one cent a minute.
    >
    > The result is that you pay far, far less than 3p per call, unless you
    > make very few calls indeed. Even if you never call mobiles, it is
    > cheaper than skype.

    I tried this and it fits my needs.
    http://voipsipsdk.com/Download.aspx
    sipSdkGuru, Mar 16, 2009
  8. Graham.

    Iain Guest

    sipSdkGuru wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 3:13 pm, Iain <> wrote:
    >> ... Eh?I think you should look at smslisto pricing again.

    > I tried this and it fits my needs.
    > http://voipsipsdk.com/Download.aspx

    That is an activex (ugh!) component for embedding a VOIP softphone into
    a web page. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the cost of calls.

    How does it relate to what I wrote?
    Iain, Mar 18, 2009