Re: need advice in choosing a wireless access point components

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Desk Rabbit, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 06/04/2010 01:06, t wrote:

    > The wireless access point is to provide wireless connectivity to 15
    > office computers. There are seven rooms in the office. The dimensions of
    > the office are in a range of about 80 feet X 80 feet. We have a
    > centralized Cisco switch and a single mode fiber for wired network
    > connectivity having a capacity of 100Mbps. Another office like ours has
    > got a wireless access point recently and below is their configuration
    > for the different components:
    >
    > 1. Catalyst 3560 Compact 8 10/100 POE + 1T/SFP; IP Base Image cost 795
    > 2. Power Cord, 110V, Right Angle(Sub-Component of Catalyst 3560 Compact
    > 8 10/100 PoE + 1 T/SFP; IP Base Image)
    > 3. Power Retainer Clip for compact switches(sub-component of catalyst
    > 3560 Compact 8 10/100 PoE + 1 T/SFP; IP Base Image)
    > 4. GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver cost 285
    > 5. GE SFP, LC connector LX/LH transceiver cost 567
    > 6. 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified APl Int Ant; A Reg Domain cost 740
    > 7. Cisco 1140 Series IOS Wireless LAN LWAPP recovery (Sub-domain of
    > 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified AP; Int Ant; A Reg Domain)
    > 8. SMARTNET 8X5Xnbd Catalyst 3560 8 10/1 (Service Item - site
    > information required)
    > 9. SMARTNET 8X5Xnbd 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified AP; Int Ant (Service Item
    > - site information required)
    >
    > The total comes to be 2387$ which is much more than we can afford. The
    > items for which cost is not included, the cost was not provided.
    >
    > Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Before you go spending shed loads of money, answer one question.

    Why do you need wireless for you office computers?

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 6, 2010

  2. Desk Rabbit

    rf Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > On 06/04/2010 01:06, t wrote:
    >>

    >> The wireless access point is to provide wireless connectivity to 15
    >> office computers. There are seven rooms in the office. The dimensions of
    >> the office are in a range of about 80 feet X 80 feet. We have a
    >> centralized Cisco switch and a single mode fiber for wired network
    >> connectivity having a capacity of 100Mbps. Another office like ours has
    >> got a wireless access point recently and below is their configuration
    >> for the different components:
    >>
    >> 1. Catalyst 3560 Compact 8 10/100 POE + 1T/SFP; IP Base Image cost 795
    >> 2. Power Cord, 110V, Right Angle(Sub-Component of Catalyst 3560 Compact
    >> 8 10/100 PoE + 1 T/SFP; IP Base Image)
    >> 3. Power Retainer Clip for compact switches(sub-component of catalyst
    >> 3560 Compact 8 10/100 PoE + 1 T/SFP; IP Base Image)
    >> 4. GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver cost 285
    >> 5. GE SFP, LC connector LX/LH transceiver cost 567
    >> 6. 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified APl Int Ant; A Reg Domain cost 740
    >> 7. Cisco 1140 Series IOS Wireless LAN LWAPP recovery (Sub-domain of
    >> 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified AP; Int Ant; A Reg Domain)
    >> 8. SMARTNET 8X5Xnbd Catalyst 3560 8 10/1 (Service Item - site
    >> information required)
    >> 9. SMARTNET 8X5Xnbd 802.11a/g/n Fixed Unified AP; Int Ant (Service Item
    >> - site information required)
    >>
    >> The total comes to be 2387$ which is much more than we can afford. The
    >> items for which cost is not included, the cost was not provided.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Before you go spending shed loads of money, answer one question.
    >
    > Why do you need wireless for you office computers?

    It's the in thing? You know, chairing a very importantly bossy sort of let's
    really do things quite quickly type of meeting, in the very important
    meeting area just over there by the impressively silently calming water
    feature, with a tiny little bossivly important notebook with a very hugely
    important appearing large wireless arial poking right out the back just
    quietly waiting to prod a lessly important passing secretary in her arse.

    Who would ever think of using actual wires these days? Especially those
    nasty yucky pale blue cat5 thingies that do so clash with the puce carpet.
    One might even trip over said wire and spill a drop or two of ones latte.
    Dreadfull.

    rf, Apr 6, 2010

  3. Desk Rabbit

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-06, rf <> wrote:

    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> On 06/04/2010 01:06, t wrote:
    >>>

    >>> The wireless access point is to provide wireless connectivity to 15
    >>> office computers. There are seven rooms in the office. The dimensions of
    >>> the office are in a range of about 80 feet X 80 feet. We have a
    >>> centralized Cisco switch and a single mode fiber for wired network
    >>> connectivity having a capacity of 100Mbps. Another office like ours has
    >>> got a wireless access point recently and below is their configuration
    >>> for the different components:

    [...]

    >> Before you go spending shed loads of money, answer one question.
    >>
    >> Why do you need wireless for you office computers?

    > It's the in thing? You know, chairing a very importantly bossy sort of let's
    > really do things quite quickly type of meeting, in the very important
    > meeting area just over there by the impressively silently calming water
    > feature, with a tiny little bossivly important notebook with a very hugely
    > important appearing large wireless arial poking right out the back just
    > quietly waiting to prod a lessly important passing secretary in her arse.
    >
    > Who would ever think of using actual wires these days? Especially those
    > nasty yucky pale blue cat5 thingies that do so clash with the puce carpet.
    > One might even trip over said wire and spill a drop or two of ones latte.
    > Dreadfull.

    <grin>

    If WiFi is only really needed in eg a meeting room, any 'SOHO' wireless
    access point should be able to cope; just connect it to an ethernet socket
    in the room, set up at least WPA-PSK encryption, get the MAC numbers of
    each authorised device so that you can apply MAC filtering, and give each
    authorised user a password. Change the password(s) after each meeting,
    and make sure the Wireless Access Point is switched off (and locked away
    securely) when it isn't meant to be in use.

    Oh, and as suggested already, do get the IT admin people involved at the
    earliest possible stage!

    There is no good reason I can think of for ordinary workers' 'work
    stations' not to have a fixed ethernet connection - and some excellent
    reasons why WiFi shouldn't be used at all.

    If the current wired network is struggling to cope with the traffic,
    adding WiFi won't really help; you need to upgrade the wired network -
    which is a job for an expert, in any business situation. (When we did
    this in an office I used to work in, we actually installed a 'false floor'
    just to give all the cables somewhere safe and accessible to run; that's
    pretty extreme, but effective!).

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 6, 2010