Re: Native Indians try to thwart photographer rights

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John A., Nov 9, 2011.

  1. John A.

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:29:07 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/8/2011 11:36 PM, John A. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:13:45 -0500, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    ><snip>>>>>
    >

    >>> Powered by what?

    >> Whataver's handy and appropriate to the job at hand, I suppose. Hand
    >> crank, electric motor, water wheel, whatever.
    >>
    >> How are Gatlings powered these days? I seem to recall their being
    >> mounted in some jet fighters, and I doubt they have a crewman tucked
    >> in there turning a crank.

    >IIRC Gatling guns are turned by a crank that sets the chamber and a
    >spring releases the firing pin. The power of a bayonet on such a gun,
    >would have to come from a thrusting motion, powered by humans.
    >
    >Now can you imagine a bayonet on an aircraft mounted Gatling?

    "Switch on the afterburners. Ramming speed!!!" :)

    Hmmm... maybe for a kamikaze.

    Heh... now I'm picturing landing gear with blades on the wheel hubs
    like in various movie chariot races and in Grease. :)
    John A., Nov 9, 2011

  2. John A.

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/9/2011 11:12 AM, John A. wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:29:07 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/8/2011 11:36 PM, John A. wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:13:45 -0500, PeterN
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>

    >> <snip>>>>>

    >>> Whataver's handy and appropriate to the job at hand, I suppose. Hand
    >>> crank, electric motor, water wheel, whatever.
    >>>
    >>> How are Gatlings powered these days? I seem to recall their being
    >>> mounted in some jet fighters, and I doubt they have a crewman tucked
    >>> in there turning a crank.

    >> IIRC Gatling guns are turned by a crank that sets the chamber and a
    >> spring releases the firing pin. The power of a bayonet on such a gun,
    >> would have to come from a thrusting motion, powered by humans.
    >>
    >> Now can you imagine a bayonet on an aircraft mounted Gatling?

    > "Switch on the afterburners. Ramming speed!!!" :)
    >
    > Hmmm... maybe for a kamikaze.
    >
    > Heh... now I'm picturing landing gear with blades on the wheel hubs
    > like in various movie chariot races and in Grease. :)

    That was an exciting scene. I only saw it in Ber-Hur.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011

  3. John A.

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:01:09 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/9/2011 11:12 AM, John A. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:29:07 -0500, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> <snip>>>>>

    >>> IIRC Gatling guns are turned by a crank that sets the chamber and a
    >>> spring releases the firing pin. The power of a bayonet on such a gun,
    >>> would have to come from a thrusting motion, powered by humans.
    >>>
    >>> Now can you imagine a bayonet on an aircraft mounted Gatling?

    >> "Switch on the afterburners. Ramming speed!!!" :)
    >>
    >> Hmmm... maybe for a kamikaze.
    >>
    >> Heh... now I'm picturing landing gear with blades on the wheel hubs
    >> like in various movie chariot races and in Grease. :)

    >That was an exciting scene. I only saw it in Ber-Hur.

    I'm pretty sure the use of it in Grease was in reference to Ben-Hur.

    There was a variation of it in Gladiator. Those weren't races in that
    movie, admittedly.

    I'd be surprised if there wasn't something on the TV Tropes site about
    them. Ah, here we are:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpikedWheels
    John A., Nov 9, 2011