Re: Nat Loopback

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Walter Roberson, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. In article <wQHTa.56784$>,
    Jeff Fan <> wrote:
    :I have this Pix 506e router installed at company's headoffice. This command:
    :static (inside, outside) 216.191.147.121 192.168.168.200 netmask
    :255.255.255.255.0 0
    :is used for mapping 216.191.147.121 to 192.168.168.200(Exchange Server), and
    :also port 80 is opened for outside users access their email with Outlook Web
    :Access via http://216.191.147.121/exchange.

    I don't know if it is just our system, but hereabouts OWA is
    https instead of http.

    :Inside users access email via
    :http://192.168.168.200/exchange.

    :Now I registered 216.191.147.121/exchange as a domain name mymail.dom, so
    :users can use this domain name access their email. Here I have a problem
    :with inside users, they cannot use out side ip access their email. My
    :question is how to setup this cisco pix to enable ip loopback and inside
    :users can use outside ip 216.191.147.121 to access email.

    The PIX will NEVER do ip loopback.

    If your inside users need to be able to access via the external
    IP *address*, then you are not going to be able to get it to work
    without horrendous hacks.

    If it is acceptable for your users to all access by host *name*,
    then if your DNS server is external, use the 'alias' command on
    the PIX, and if your DNS server is internal, configure it to
    return different answers to internal users than to external users
    [e.g., BIND9 'split views'.]
    --
    Is "meme" descriptive or perscriptive? Does the knowledge that
    memes exist not subtly encourage the creation of more memes?
    Walter Roberson, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Walter Roberson

    Jeff Fan Guest

    Thank you very much, Walter.

    If The PIX will NEVER do ip loopback, I will try DNS.

    Jeff

    Jeff Fan, Jul 24, 2003