Re: NASA World Wind doesn't work. help!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Oct 4, 2011.

  1. snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > Hi, I have just installed NASA World Wind 1.4 on 3 different PCs but
    > it doesn't work. When I click on its icon I am not able to open it.
    > Why do I have this problem?
    > My principal PC has windows 7 x64 and the other two windows 7 x86.
    > Help me please. Thanks!

    One thought: it could be that since World Wind isn't designed for
    Windows 7 or Vista and has noted limited compatibility issues with
    these. On freeware sites, it's listed for Windows 2k-XP, and the World
    Wind FAQ has the following to say on the issue:

    http://worldwindcentral.com/wiki/World_Wind_FAQ#Windows_Vista.2F7_compatibility

    World Wind was not designed for Windows Vista or Windows 7, but can run
    on it. The best way is installing World Wind outside of the program
    files directory, in C:\NASA for example, or on another partition (e.g.
    D:\Program Files\NASA).

    Another workaround is to leave UAC enabled and run World Wind as an
    administrator:

    Install World Wind as you would any other Windows program. Once
    installed then right click the World Wind application or shortcut and
    select "properties." (See Dialog Box 1)
    On the properties dialog box under the Compatibility tab select
    "Run this program as an administrator" and then save this change. (See
    Dialog Box 2)

    World Wind can then be run as any other Windows program and the UAC
    prompts whether to allow or cancel it.

    You can also change WW directory properties and give users full access
    rights to it.

    Disabling UAC is not recommended!
    [edit] Spoon Solution

    An Alternative solution is to install the Spoon version of NASA World
    Wind, this does not seem to have any of the UAC or Managed DirectX
    problems that the standard installer has, be aware a browser plugin is
    required to use any Spoon apps. Download NASA World Wind from Spoon at
    this link.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Oct 4, 2011