Re: NAS Units

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by victor, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. victor

    victor Guest

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    > available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
    >
    > My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    > raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    > Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    > Linux)

    If you want a box to put some NAS OS on these look cool

    http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html
    victor, Jul 12, 2009

  2. victor

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 13, 10:23 am, victor <> wrote:
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    > > Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    > > available. Those in the $250-$400 range.

    > > My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > > connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    > > raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    > > Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    > > Linux)

    > If you want a box to put  some NAS OS on these look cool
    >
    > http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html

    but only hold 2 disk....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 13, 2009

  3. victor

    victor Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 10:23 am, victor <> wrote:
    >> Collector€NZ wrote:
    >>> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    >>> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
    >>> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    >>> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    >>> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    >>> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    >>> Linux)

    >> If you want a box to put some NAS OS on these look cool
    >>
    >> http://www.procase.co.nz/VIA/artigo2000.html

    > but only hold 2 disk....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    So they do.
    victor, Jul 13, 2009
  4. In message <2427d93d-a3c3-41b9-905d-
    >, thingy wrote:

    > but only hold 2 disk....

    How many do you need? More drives = more power consumption and more noise.
    Start with, say, a single 1.5TB drive as the current affordable state-of-
    the-art. As you need more space, a 2 or 3TB drive should become
    practicable--just move all your data across. Then later on, replace the
    first drive with an even bigger one, and move it all again. And so it goes.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 14, 2009
  5. victor

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 14, 2:13 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <2427d93d-a3c3-41b9-905d-
    >
    > >, thingy wrote:
    > > but only hold 2 disk....

    > How many do you need? More drives = more power consumption and more noise.
    > Start with, say, a single 1.5TB drive as the current affordable state-of-
    > the-art. As you need more space, a 2 or 3TB drive should become
    > practicable--just move all your data across. Then later on, replace the
    > first drive with an even bigger one, and move it all again. And so it goes.

    Agreed, sort of, real minimal cost, yes....but a lot of it is
    performance. With openfiler you can of course add disks to the volume
    groups...do backups...etc etc.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 14, 2009