Re: NAS Units

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 12, 4:14 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    > available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
    >
    > My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    > raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    > Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    > Linux)

    As long as performance is not an issue and you only want 2 disks and
    small is essential as is low power/heat....then go for it....

    If you want it to look Mac pro like, these are nice units,

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/External-storage/External-hard-drives/auction-228973942.htm

    I have the FW/USB version and they seem quite good quality....mine is
    a year old now....has 2 x 750gb in a raid one...700gb usable....no
    issue on Mac or Linux or Windows....it just goes.

    If on the other hand you want more than 2 disks then the NAS boxes get
    very expensive and really suck for performance....4 disk NAS boxes are
    stupid money and run awfully, but for home are just about OK...

    If you want more then a DIY Openfiler or Freenas option is cheap and
    very fast by comparison....both are web driven...but if you are a
    windows chap then Windows storage server probably is your cup of tea,
    of course that costs.

    For performance I use Openfiler for a iscsi array to my esxi and then
    also has cifs/samba....I have a 1.2TB PATA array, a 400Gb scsi array
    and a 900Gb sata array....all off the one motherboard...

    I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
    disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
    case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
    can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
    disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

    :D

    I might cook in summer though....

    :/

    LOL.

    If you want real capacity and speed then 2 x PERC 5i or 6i raid
    controllers ($250 each on trademe) would see 2 x Raid5(7+1)
    arrays....so thats 14TB....at $215 a TB...

    Then use the 6 on board sata channels as backup disks....or feed out
    to eSATA....considering Dell/Promise/Dlink want $15k for 12Tb thats
    quite a good deal...

    Crazy but cool.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 12, 2009

  2. thingy

    Alan Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
    >disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
    >case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
    >can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
    >disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

    Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??

    Would be inspirational!

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Jul 12, 2009

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 13, 10:16 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > >I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
    > >disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
    > >case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
    > >can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
    > >disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

    > Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??
    >
    > Would be inspirational!
    >
    > Alan.

    Um....somehow....yes....I have some initial build ones....been meaning
    to take more anyway.

    regards

    thingy, Jul 13, 2009
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:01 am, thingy <> wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 10:16 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > > >I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
    > > >disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
    > > >case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
    > > >can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
    > > >disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

    > > Any chance of a piccy or three from different angles of that setup??

    > > Would be inspirational!

    > > Alan.

    > Um....somehow....yes....I have some initial build ones....been meaning
    > to take more anyway.
    >
    > regards

    Front shot....

    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

    The bright blue LED on the middle right is the CF disk it just happens
    to be accessed in that split second, it runs of the motherboard as 4gb
    solid state CF x133 speed disk...same led on the left is connected to
    the scsi disks...

    Middle left is the Lan-li temp / fan controller....4 x fans and 4 x
    temp sensors. So the four front fans will be speed controlled via the
    temp sensors...to reduce noise....as much as anything.

    I want to install an aerocool 3.5 inch temp sensor / fan control for
    the remainder of the fans....or maybe another lan-li by removing the
    cd burner which is pretty much redundant.

    I need to open it up to sort the wiring so will take more.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 13, 2009
  5. thingy

    Alan Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > Front shot....
    >
    > http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

    Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance ;-)

    Thanks,

    Alan, Jul 13, 2009
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:49 am, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > > Front shot....

    > >http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/IMG0001A.jpg

    > Cool - do post those internal shots when you get the chance ;-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
    get asked....

    ;]

    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/front.jpg
    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/320gb-pata-maxtor.jpg
    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sata-pata-conv.jpg
    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/6-maxtors-x-320gb.jpg
    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/scsi-perc-card.jpg

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 13, 2009
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Jul 13, 2009
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 13, 6:43 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    > > On Jul 12, 4:14 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > >> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    > >> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.

    > >> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > >> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    > >> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    > >> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    > >> Linux)

    > > As long as performance is not an issue and you only want 2 disks and
    > > small is essential as is low power/heat....then go for it....

    > > If you want it to look Mac pro like, these are nice units,

    > >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/External-storage/External-hard-dri...

    > They look interesting but at 600- 700 bucks
    >

    > > I have the FW/USB version and they seem quite good quality....mine is
    > > a year old now....has 2 x 750gb in a raid one...700gb usable....no
    > > issue on Mac or Linux or Windows....it just goes.

    > > If on the other hand you want more than 2 disks then the NAS boxes get
    > > very expensive and really suck for performance....4 disk NAS boxes are
    > > stupid money and run awfully, but for home are just about OK...

    > > If you want more then a DIY Openfiler or Freenas option is cheap and
    > > very fast by comparison....both are web driven...but if you are a
    > > windows chap then Windows storage server probably is your cup of tea,
    > > of course that costs.

    > > For performance I use Openfiler for a iscsi array to my esxi and then
    > > also has cifs/samba....I have a 1.2TB PATA array, a 400Gb scsi array
    > > and a 900Gb sata array....all off the one motherboard...

    > > I used 2 x Gigabyte $115 cases bolted together, each side holds 8
    > > disks......took out the centre motherboard panel so I have a deep
    > > case....put in cool master "4 disk in a 3 x 5.25in bay" caddies....I
    > > can bolt another to the rear so 20 disks all fan cooled....with 14
    > > disks right now it keeps my toes warm....

    > > :D

    > > I might cook in summer though....

    > > :/

    > > LOL.

    > > If you want real capacity and speed then 2 x PERC 5i or 6i raid
    > > controllers ($250 each on trademe) would see 2 x Raid5(7+1)
    > > arrays....so thats 14TB....at $215 a TB...

    > > Then use the 6 on board sata channels as backup disks....or feed out
    > > to eSATA....considering Dell/Promise/Dlink want $15k for 12Tb thats
    > > quite a good deal...

    > > Crazy but cool.....

    > > regards

    > > Thing

    Includes disk...I have seen awful cheap crap that barely works....or
    does not, or cooks the disk....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 13, 2009
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

  10. thingy

    Alan Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, thingy <> wrote:

    > I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
    > get asked....

    {Grin}

    The 15 disks is very impressive!

    Alan, Jul 14, 2009
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 14, 3:24 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    > > I cant let the "boss" see me near it or it being open or awkward Qs
    > > get asked....

    > {Grin}
    >
    > The 15 disks is very impressive!
    >
    > Alan.
    >
    > --
    >
    > The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
    > My unmunged email is:   (valid for 30 days
    > min probably much longer).

    It will be interesting to do some speed trials on the various
    combinations of disks...and raid controllers...hence why Ive shoved so
    many in for now....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 14, 2009