Re: NAS Units

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by J Brockley, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. J Brockley

    J Brockley Guest

    "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    news:4a596362$...
    > Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units available.
    > Those in the $250-$400 range.
    >
    > My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some raid
    > options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    > Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    > Linux)

    DLink DNS-323 is reasonable with a few extras like FTP/Bit torrent and uPNP.
    Unlike PC options it has very low power use when idle.
    However don't expect fast performance as even with 1gig ethernet you can
    only drive it to around 14% if you're lucky.
    J Brockley, Jul 12, 2009

  2. J Brockley

    EMB Guest

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Been leaning slightly towards Dlink DNS-323 and speed issues aside.

    IMO OpenFiler (makes a decent iSCSI target for your servers) or FreeNAS
    on an EeeBox would be a far better solution.
    EMB, Jul 12, 2009

  3. J Brockley

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 12, 10:30 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    > > Been leaning slightly towards Dlink DNS-323 and speed issues aside.

    > IMO OpenFiler (makes a decent iSCSI target for your servers) or FreeNAS
    > on an EeeBox would be a far better solution.

    Openfiler is what Im using....to ESXi

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Jul 12, 2009
  4. J Brockley

    > J Brockley wrote:
    >>

    >> "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>> Some time back there was a thread here on the cheaper NAS units
    >>> available. Those in the $250-$400 range.
    >>>
    >>> My requirement is for minimum 2 Sata2 Drives 10/100/1000 ethernet
    >>> connection (1Gb not quite so important) would be good if it had some
    >>> raid options, FTP and SAMBA ETC.
    >>> Any recomendations (No I do not want to run up and old computer and use
    >>> Linux)

    >> DLink DNS-323 is reasonable with a few extras like FTP/Bit torrent and
    >> uPNP.
    >> Unlike PC options it has very low power use when idle.
    >> However don't expect fast performance as even with 1gig ethernet you can
    >> only drive it to around 14% if you're lucky.
    >>

    > Been leaning slightly towards Dlink DNS-323 and speed issues aside.

    Speed is only an issue if you're transferring big files all the time. Mine
    is a hub for music/video and the players only supports 100 meg Ethernet so
    the DNS is ample for those.
    sure where the bottle neck is but its not something I do everyday so its
    really a non issue. Printer port is also handy as well.
    FYI power usage seems to be ~8 watt idle.
    J Brockley, Jul 13, 2009