Re: Naqoyqatsi - FS

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ar, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. ar

    ar Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:55:47 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:53:02 -0700, "Richard Gordon"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Naqoyqatsi is about to be released on DVD - but only in FS.

    >I sure hope so. The films were framed for 1.33, but obviously
    >presented widescreen in theaters. This materal really does benefit
    >from an open matte transfer.

    I know Koyaanisqatsi was shot 1.33 full-frame, but was Powaqqatsi
    filmed that way too? You can easily tell when watching K.. that images
    are not framed properly (for just one instance out of many, the Empire
    State Building is chopped off at the top in the matted DVD version).

    But I wasn't able to make the same conclusion as easily with P..., the
    images looked like they could have been intended to be in the WS
    format from the start (which makes sense following the unexpected
    success of K...)

    >> Each of the two prior films in the trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi & Powaqqatsi )
    >> were released on DVD in WS.

    >The first DVD release of Koyannisqatsi, which I did BTW, was open
    >matte. It's the new release that presented the film in the theatrical
    >aspect, not the composed aspect. To satisfy everyone, these films
    >really should be released in both formats.

    Agreed! I was really disappointed in the WS version of part 1
    especially. That film always reminded me of the IMAX films, which I
    believe came much later, but are in the same ratio.

    ar, Jun 26, 2003