Re: My USB IDE/SATA adapter

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sandy58, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Sep 15, 7:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:
    > Okay.
    > I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
    > I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
    > I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one.  I
    > can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
    >
    > Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
    > taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
    >
    > One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't show
    > up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
    > Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
    > appear under Device Manager.  Interesting.
    >
    > I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
    > project.  Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

    Eh! WTF are you on about?
    sandy58, Sep 16, 2009

  2. sandy58

    JD Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 7:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:
    >> Okay.
    >> I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
    >> I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
    >> I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one. I
    >> can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
    >>
    >> Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
    >> taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
    >>
    >> One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't show
    >> up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
    >> Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
    >> appear under Device Manager. Interesting.
    >>
    >> I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
    >> project. Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

    > Eh! WTF are you on about?

    Its a ATA(IDE)/SATA to USB adapter for hard drives that was discussed in
    another post

    JD
    JD, Sep 16, 2009

  3. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 15, 7:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:
    > Okay.
    > I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
    > I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
    > I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one. I
    > can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
    >
    > Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
    > taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
    >
    > One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't
    > show
    > up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
    > Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
    > appear under Device Manager. Interesting.
    >
    > I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
    > project. Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

    Eh! WTF are you on about?

    We were talking about testing HDDs earlier last week. There is a device
    ($20-ish price point) that will allow a 2.5" or 3.5" or SATA drive to be
    seen as a USB drive. You can take a "failed" drive -- one that will not
    boot -- and plug it into this device, then plug the device into a working
    machine, and the failed drive will be seen as a non-boot USB. If the problem
    is a boot sector error, then you can pull data off and move it to the
    working drive.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 16, 2009