Re: my progress with Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > Because I do photography and use GIMP I decided to actually buy a new
    > video card rather than continue to use stuff out of my junk box...so I
    > ended up with a GeForce8400gs.
    >
    > Since my Linux installations were pretty old anyway...decided to
    > evaluate some of the new
    > distros now out there:
    >
    > Fedora 10
    > SuSe 11.1
    > Mandriva 2009
    > Debian 5 (Lenny)
    >
    > The installations went well..but right off the bat I could not get my
    > video configured properly
    > in SuSe
    >
    > Mandriva, by default actually installed the NVidia driver, so I was
    > quite happy with that
    >
    > and though Fedora and Debian did not install the NVidia driver...the
    > video quality was excellent.

    Really a matter of putting that info in your /etc/XF86Config file -
    autodetection is nice, but rarely works perfectly.

    man XF86Config

    section 5 I *think*.

    > The kicker is that I use an LCD monitor and a KVM switch so am always
    > used to a very slight
    > video degradation...but it was virtually un-noticed in debian.
    > Very slight in Fedora...
    > and just a very tad bit worse in Mandriva

    See above. Same thing

    > Since i can get a gamma adjustment with the Nvidia drivers...which I
    > really need...
    > I spent a few days fooling with getting the NVidia driver installed in
    > Fedora and in Debian
    >
    > I got fast help on the Fedora forum and quickly got the driver installed
    > properly
    > and the system works absolutely great...
    > But I never was able to get the Nvidia driver installed in Debian
    >
    > Just as I was about to give up...I found a command line utility "xgamma"
    > then wrote a couple of simple shell scripts to run from the desktop
    > so I can easily change the gamma to a couple of desired presets.

    There *is* configurations utilities depending on the window manager you're
    using that do that as well - permanently without remaining resident. I'm
    almost certain that Gimp does that on it's own. Certainly xv does.

    > Though it looks like I will be going with Debian...
    > I have to give very high marks to Debian, Fedora and Mandriva!

    Just really a matter of the luck of the draw with your hardware I'd say.
    Wait until you get upgrade bugs.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 3, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> philo <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Because I do photography and use GIMP I decided to actually buy a new
    >>> video card rather than continue to use stuff out of my junk box...so I
    >>> ended up with a GeForce8400gs.
    >>>
    >>> Since my Linux installations were pretty old anyway...decided to
    >>> evaluate some of the new
    >>> distros now out there:
    >>>
    >>> Fedora 10
    >>> SuSe 11.1
    >>> Mandriva 2009
    >>> Debian 5 (Lenny)
    >>>
    >>> The installations went well..but right off the bat I could not get my
    >>> video configured properly
    >>> in SuSe
    >>>
    >>> Mandriva, by default actually installed the NVidia driver, so I was
    >>> quite happy with that
    >>>
    >>> and though Fedora and Debian did not install the NVidia driver...the
    >>> video quality was excellent.
    >>>

    >> Really a matter of putting that info in your /etc/XF86Config file -
    >> autodetection is nice, but rarely works perfectly.
    >>
    >> man XF86Config
    >>
    >> section 5 I *think*.
    >>
    >>> The kicker is that I use an LCD monitor and a KVM switch so am always
    >>> used to a very slight
    >>> video degradation...but it was virtually un-noticed in debian.
    >>> Very slight in Fedora...
    >>> and just a very tad bit worse in Mandriva
    >>>

    >> See above. Same thing
    >>
    >>> Since i can get a gamma adjustment with the Nvidia drivers...which I
    >>> really need...
    >>> I spent a few days fooling with getting the NVidia driver installed in
    >>> Fedora and in Debian
    >>>
    >>> I got fast help on the Fedora forum and quickly got the driver
    >>> installed properly
    >>> and the system works absolutely great...
    >>> But I never was able to get the Nvidia driver installed in Debian
    >>>
    >>> Just as I was about to give up...I found a command line utility
    >>> "xgamma" then wrote a couple of simple shell scripts to run from the
    >>> desktop so I can easily change the gamma to a couple of desired
    >>> presets.
    >>>

    >> There *is* configurations utilities depending on the window manager
    >> you're using that do that as well - permanently without remaining
    >> resident. I'm almost certain that Gimp does that on it's own. Certainly
    >> xv does.
    >>
    >>> Though it looks like I will be going with Debian...
    >>> I have to give very high marks to Debian, Fedora and Mandriva!
    >>>

    >> Just really a matter of the luck of the draw with your hardware I'd
    >> say. Wait until you get upgrade bugs.
    >>

    > I see you have not used Linux in a long time...
    >
    > Xfree is no longer used...it's Xorg now.

    Please. I have a Version of X less than a year old. The only recent
    changes of note are the moving of XF86Config from /var/X11R6/lib to
    /etc/X11 (*may* vary depending on distribution), the addition of
    accelerated cards in X itself and the addition of multiple monitor/video
    card combinations. Xorg is the organization, Xfree is the package.

    > Anyway, I found that I do not need the NVidia drivers anyway.... xgamma
    > did the trick for me.

    Standard program included with X.

    > Well, as I was making this post I was also printing out my morning
    > crossword puzzle.
    > It was nice not to have my machine bog down while printing...
    > Windows did not handle that very well

    Try printing a 50+ pdf file on a laser printer sometime!

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 3, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:58:12 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Try printing a 50+ pdf file on a laser printer sometime!

    Try printing a 6,000+ plus page document on a all in one sometime.
    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 06:30:01 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >I see you have not used Linux in a long time...

    Chucktard's a backpedalling fool. Anything he says should be taken
    with a grain of salt.
    Evan Platt, Mar 4, 2009