Re: my progress with Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:12:22 -0600, philo wrote:

    >Because I do photography and use GIMP I decided to actually buy a new video
    >card rather than continue to use stuff out of my junk box...so I ended up
    >with a GeForce8400gs.
    >
    >Since my Linux installations were pretty old anyway...decided to evaluate
    >some of the new
    >distros now out there:
    >
    >Fedora 10
    >SuSe 11.1
    >Mandriva 2009
    >Debian 5 (Lenny)

    If you want another distro to try :)
    Tiny Core Linux V1.0
    www.tinycorelinux.com

    Tiny Core Linux is a very small (10 MB) minimal Linux Desktop. It is
    based on Linux 2.6 kernel, Busybox, Tiny X, Fltk, and Jwm. The core runs
    entirely in ram and boots very quickly.

    It is not a complete desktop nor is all hardware completely supported.
    It represents only the core needed to boot into a very minimal X desktop
    typically with wired internet access.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Mar 2, 2009

  2. On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:55:23 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:12:22 -0600, philo wrote:
    >

    >>Because I do photography and use GIMP I decided to actually buy a new
    >>video card rather than continue to use stuff out of my junk box...so I
    >>ended up with a GeForce8400gs.
    >>
    >>Since my Linux installations were pretty old anyway...decided to evaluate
    >>some of the new
    >>distros now out there:
    >>
    >>Fedora 10
    >>SuSe 11.1
    >>Mandriva 2009
    >>Debian 5 (Lenny)

    I would add to that: Ubuntu 8.10 & Mepis 8.0

    William Poaster, Mar 3, 2009