Re: My Player won't recognize DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Berniez, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Berniez

    Berniez Guest

    dvdrhelp.com

    Berniez, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Berniez

    Bob Bohling Guest

    I just bought a new player, as I wanted one that would play things other
    than
    store bought DVDs and with progressive scan. It actually took me more
    looking
    than I thought, to find one that would fill most of my needs. I copied a
    DVD
    movie onto a DVD-R, made a VCD of digital photos and a CD of mp3s and
    set out. I originally thought I was going to get the new Sony DVP-NC685V.
    It listed that it would play most things. It played the VCD and mp3s fine.
    When
    I put in the copied movie, it would play the menu fine, but when the movie
    started,
    it would jump around from scene/chapter. I tried other Sony models, with the
    same
    result. Went to Denon and they played the DVD-R movie and mp3s fine, but
    would
    not play the VCD. Samsung also would not play everything. I tried
    Panasonic and
    it played all three, as did Pioneer. I ended up purchasing a Pioneer Elite
    player and
    spending much more than I originally intended. My suggestion is to do like
    I did and
    make discs of the type you want to use and test the players. Don't assume
    all new players
    will play the discs, as an earlier response stated. Also, don't go by a
    manufacturer saying
    the player will support the format. It is very hit and miss, as I found
    out. The salesman
    told me that what I was doing was the only way of being relatively sure that
    you are getting
    what you want. It is hard to find one that does it all, at least without
    spending mucho $$$.
    I spent more on the Elite, as it also added DVD-Audio and SACD. The only
    things are,
    it does not do Windows Media files and I have not tried DVD+R yet.

    Bob Bohling, Apr 2, 2004

  3. On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:19:58 GMT, "Bob Bohling"
    <> wrote:

    Yes but Bob, you're nmissing the point. Go to Circuit City or Best
    Buy or whatever and ask fior a demonstration of the CHEAPEST possible
    no-name player, an Apex or Malata or something. $39 would be a good
    price point. THAT machine will play anything you throw at it.
    Guaranteed! A more expensive brand name player is LESS likely to
    handle all variations of all formats. Don't believe me? check it out..
    The recommendation is to buy a player that best handles commercial
    DVD's, progressive out, good noise figures etc, then use your lunch
    money to buy a piece of crap that will play everything but with less
    quality of course.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 3, 2004