Re: My plan of action

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/8/2010 1:44 PM Just to please that super-ego, Brian Christiansen
    wrote the following tidbit of information:
    > The following is my plan of action, based on what I know about the
    > situation, suggestions made here, and some research I did on the internet.
    >

    > 1.. Back up all critical data to a memory stick, CD, whatever.
    >
    > 2.. Get computer running as best as possible using the following steps
    >
    > 1.. Remove windows XP and revert back to 98, or
    >
    > 2.. Do a clean install of 98 if the old recovery disks are still around
    >
    > 3.. Determine what the computer is used for and remove all software that
    > does not support that purpose or reinstall all software the supports that
    > purpose.
    >
    > 3.. See what can be done about connecting to the internet after those
    > things are completed.

    Good Luck, There is no support from MS on win98 so nothing would be
    secure when connecting to the Internet.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Nov 8, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/9/2010 9:30 AM Just to please that super-ego, §nühw¤£f wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > In message<ib9ka1$p75$-september.org>, OldGringo38 pondered the
    > following:
    >> On 11/8/2010 1:44 PM Just to please that super-ego, Brian Christiansen
    >> wrote the following tidbit of information:
    >>> The following is my plan of action, based on what I know about the
    >>> situation, suggestions made here, and some research I did on the internet.
    >>>

    >>> 1.. Back up all critical data to a memory stick, CD, whatever.
    >>>
    >>> 2.. Get computer running as best as possible using the following steps
    >>>
    >>> 1.. Remove windows XP and revert back to 98, or
    >>>
    >>> 2.. Do a clean install of 98 if the old recovery disks are still

    >> around
    >>>
    >>> 3.. Determine what the computer is used for and remove all software

    >> that
    >>> does not support that purpose or reinstall all software the supports that
    >>> purpose.
    >>>
    >>> 3.. See what can be done about connecting to the internet after those
    >>> things are completed.
    >>>

    >> Good Luck, There is no support from MS on win98 so nothing would be
    >> secure when connecting to the Internet.
    >>

    > Uh...no version of micro$uck comes secure enough to take out on the wild wild
    > web. You have to tweak the shit out of it first. Firewalls, much?

    That is because MS apps are still in Beta format 10 years after they
    discontinue support.

    OldGringo38, Nov 9, 2010