Re: My Outhouse Express is 1 hour ahead

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > All my OE emails I read are
    > stamped 1 hour ahead of when they actually get here.

    That does not 'compute' according to the information I can see and my
    assumptions which follow.

    You are using OE to post to this newsgroup, presumably on the same
    computer and using the same OE. It is possible that assumption is
    incorrect.

    Your message contains these headers:

    Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 23:46:36 -0400

    That means that your computer's time is set with the correct timezone
    offset, 4 hours west of UTC/GMT, compared to the setting of the
    newsserver which is set for UTC. That is, both of those times are
    equivalent to Saturday 03:46; indicating that your machine's tz is
    correct. At this time of year, a -0400 offset is generally Eastern
    daylight time.

    If your wall clocks are not set the same as your computer's clock and
    timezone, it would appear to your human observation that your mail is
    stamped with the wrong time.

    What tz is your computer's clock set? What tz are your wall clocks
    observing? Are they both observing daylight saving time?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >> All my OE emails I read are
    >> stamped 1 hour ahead of when they actually get here.

    > That does not 'compute' according to the information I can see and my
    > assumptions which follow.

    There are some other more exotic possibilities we can consider:

    - you have your OE configured to display your received email's 'Sent'
    time (instead of 'Received') and you receive 100% of your mail from one
    person whose clock is misconfigured 1 hour ahead by tz or setting
    - you have your OE configured to display your email's 'Received' time
    instead of Sent, and your mail provider's server's clock/tz offset stamp
    are misconfigured ahead by one hour.

    The latter suggestion would apply when you are viewing the columns of the
    headers, not when you are actually *reading* the mail, which reading view
    displays only the time/date value from the mail's Date field (equivalent
    to the Sent value), not from the mailserver's settings, equivalent to the
    Received field.

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> What tz is your computer's clock set? What tz are your wall clocks
    >> observing? Are they both observing daylight saving time?

    > All the tz are correct except for the OE inbox which comes in 1 hour
    > ahead.

    You didn't answer either of the questions responsively. Try again. What
    tz is your computer's clock set? What tz are your wall clocks observing?
    The answer is not 'correct' -- the answer should be to name a timezone
    and your comprehension of its offset value

    Are the answers to both of those questions Eastern Daylight time
    offset -0400 or something else?

    The next questions are: Do you have your OE's mail columns set to
    display the Sent time/date or the Received time/date? Whatever the
    answer, what happens when you configure to display both?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> - you have your OE configured to display your email's 'Received' time
    >> instead of Sent, and your mail provider's server's clock/tz offset
    >> stamp are misconfigured ahead by one hour.

    > Hay, there's a clue right there. When I actually "Read" the mail as you
    > said it's the correct time. What do I do now Mike?

    To verify that your provider has their mailserver's timestamp
    misconfigured in some way which OE is not interpreting correctly, you
    could examine those Received tracelines from your OE's message source.

    Alternatively, you could just 'blind' yourself to the information by
    configuring your mail to display the Sent value instead of the Received
    value.

    To see the Received tracelines, when you are reading a mail use the
    function ctrl-F3 to display the message source. The tracelines of
    interest are the ones which start with this:

    Those lines contain the configuration of the datestamp of the mailserver,
    such as

    Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:59:11 -0400 (EDT)

    Sometimes mail admins configure their serverstamp noncompliantly.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:52:30 -0400, WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >>> All the tz are correct except for the OE inbox which comes in 1 hour
    >>> ahead.

    >> You didn't answer either of the questions responsively. Try again.
    >> What tz is your computer's clock set? What tz are your wall clocks
    >> observing? The answer is not 'correct' -- the answer should be to name
    >> a timezone and your comprehension of its offset value
    >>
    >> Are the answers to both of those questions Eastern Daylight time offset
    >> -0400 or something else?
    >>
    >> The next questions are: Do you have your OE's mail columns set to
    >> display the Sent time/date or the Received time/date? Whatever the
    >> answer, what happens when you configure to display both?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > My wallclocks and my computer clock are both set at the same time right
    > now 10:52 am.

    Answer the man's questions, FFS.

    Aardvark, Jun 6, 2009
  6. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > When I actually "Read" the mail as you
    > said it's the correct time. What do I do now Mike?

    To confirm a problem with your mailserver's configuration and to confirm
    your own OE configuration:

    -1- look at the names of the columns for your inbox and see whether the
    place where you are reading the mail's (wrong) time/date is named
    'Received' or 'Sent'.

    -2- paste just these few lines from the headers of a recently received
    mail: all of the Received: from lines and the associated Date line of a
    legitimate mail, not a spam.

    The way to get those lines would be to select the mail, use alt-Enter to
    display the message properties and then select the Details tab to display
    the headers. Copy all of that, then delete any privacy information from
    the Received: from lines along with that header's Date line and paste it
    here. Such as this:

    Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:26:29 -0700

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2009
  7. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> To confirm a problem with your mailserver's configuration

    > by iepop3-02.ixpres.com Fri 5 Jun 2009 04:48:33 -0700

    > by smtp06.ixpres.com Fri, 5 Jun 2009 03:48:02 -0700

    Your ixpres mailserver has a misconfigured MTA mailtransfer agent; its
    clock is set significantly more than an hour into the future. One of the
    ixpres MTAs is correct, one's clock is wrong by an hour and a half.

    If you don't want to see that, configure your OE so that you don't use
    the Received column, just the Sent, but that will cause problems with the
    ordering of any spam which gets into your Inbox which has bogus
    information in its Date field.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 7, 2009