Re: My old Mavica beats all the new ones!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JK, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. JK

    JK Guest

    Boyd McDuffy wrote:

    > I must admit that I am pretty dissapointed with almost everything out there.
    > OK,OK, I know that I will never get my stabilized 14X optical but damn! I have
    > purchased 3 camera's now (oly c5050, canon s50, G3) and have taken them all
    > back!
    >
    > The digital world has not advanced much in the last four years.

    LOL!

    > Now, I am not
    > claiming to be the best photographer out there, not even close. But I know a
    > good photo when I see one and I have not seen much to be impressed with on
    > these new cameras. Does one have to buy at least the Canon 10D to get an
    > acceptable photo? I put myself at 1000.00 for my spending limit and, let me
    > tell you, I don't think that will buy much!!!
    >
    > Is there a camera out there that will take decent, mind you, not amazing, but
    > DECENT photo's?????

    What was wrong with the Olympus C5050? Do you have any of you images
    from it posted anywhere?

    > Obviously, after the FD91 I don't mind hauling a large
    > camera around, I just want one that will take a good damn photo without three
    > hours in Photo Shop doing what the camera should be capable of doing!!

    You mean what the photographer should be doing when setting the camera.
    Setting the camera on P or fully automatic and expecting great photos
    is not reasonable, especially if you are photographing difficult subjects.

    > An
    > electronic viewfinder, and good, reliable spot meter. I can't beleive all the
    > blurry, pixalated, unusable photo's that I have seen from these new cameras. Is
    > it me or is digital photography gone anal???

    How did you set the cameras? Did you try aperture priority?

    JK, Jul 19, 2003

  2. JK

    Guest Guest

    "JK" <> wrote in message

    > Boyd McDuffy wrote:
    >
    > > I must admit that I am pretty dissapointed with almost everything out

    there.
    > > OK,OK, I know that I will never get my stabilized 14X optical but damn!

    I have
    > > purchased 3 camera's now (oly c5050, canon s50, G3) and have taken them

    all
    > > back!
    > ><snip>

    > > Now, I am not
    > > claiming to be the best photographer out there, not even close. But I

    know a
    > > good photo when I see one and I have not seen much to be impressed with

    on
    > > these new cameras. Does one have to buy at least the Canon 10D to get an
    > > acceptable photo? I put myself at 1000.00 for my spending limit and, let

    me
    > > tell you, I don't think that will buy much!!!
    > >
    > > Is there a camera out there that will take decent, mind you, not

    amazing, but
    > > DECENT photo's?????

    I've had a Mavica FD92 for years and absolutely loved it except for the
    size/weight. For the past several months I've been searching for a smaller,
    lighter replacement with similar features. I finally found one in the
    Panasonic DMC-FZ1 (purchased at www.provantage.com for $386 including
    shipping). I've had it for 3 days and absolutely LOVE it! Only 2 mp but
    that is plenty for me (my Mavica was only 1.6 mp). 12x stabilized zoom,
    macro down to 1.9 inches, and MANY other wonderful features!

    Here are some pictures I've taken over the past couple of days (keep in mind
    I'm still learning how to best use this camera!):

    http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/fz1/index.html

    Check out the pictures of the church, photo of the stained glass window is
    at 12x optical zoom. Nighttime pictures were taken at ISO 200 and I was
    very pleased at how they came out!

    Guest, Jul 20, 2003

  3. JK

    Peter Jones Guest

    Boyd, I'm not sure why you're having such difficulty with the newest
    bunch of digital cameras. Metering and focusing shouldn't be a lot
    different from film cameras. With regards to focusing, the Canon S50
    shows you what it has selected to focus on before taking the picture.
    If it's the wrong thing, try again. Or use a different setting. Take
    a look at the picture just after you take it. How does the histogram
    look? Can't do that with a film camera.

    I'd spend some time over at http://www.luminouslandscape.com, read
    what the webmaster there has to say. He's a professional
    photographer, going out on expeditions many times a year. He wasn't
    really happy with consumer digital cameras until he tried the Canon
    PowerShot s50. He was very pleased with the results, and now reports
    that he takes it around with him everywhere. If it's good enough for
    him (given his body of work), then it's probably good enough for the
    vast majority of us, wouldn't you agree?

    Show us these photos where your camera didn't live up to your
    expectations. Failing that, what kind of subjects were you shooting,
    and at what setting?

    With regards to three hours in photoshop, I'm not sure what takes so
    long. Yeah, if you want to play around you can spend lots of time in
    PhotoShop on a given photo. I prefer a speedier approach, so I use
    scripts in Corel PhotoPaint (similar to Actions in PhotoShop) to do
    most of the work for me. I have a dialog with lots of options, and I
    just change settings until I'm happy with how things look.
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com/pmjimageconv.jpg

    Peter

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:57:54 -0400, JK <> wrote:

    >Boyd McDuffy wrote:
    >
    >> I must admit that I am pretty dissapointed with almost everything out there.
    >> OK,OK, I know that I will never get my stabilized 14X optical but damn! I have
    >> purchased 3 camera's now (oly c5050, canon s50, G3) and have taken them all
    >> back!
    >>
    >> The digital world has not advanced much in the last four years.

    >LOL!
    >

    >> Now, I am not
    >> claiming to be the best photographer out there, not even close. But I know a
    >> good photo when I see one and I have not seen much to be impressed with on
    >> these new cameras. Does one have to buy at least the Canon 10D to get an
    >> acceptable photo? I put myself at 1000.00 for my spending limit and, let me
    >> tell you, I don't think that will buy much!!!
    >>
    >> Is there a camera out there that will take decent, mind you, not amazing, but
    >> DECENT photo's?????

    >What was wrong with the Olympus C5050? Do you have any of you images
    >from it posted anywhere?
    >
    >> Obviously, after the FD91 I don't mind hauling a large
    >> camera around, I just want one that will take a good damn photo without three
    >> hours in Photo Shop doing what the camera should be capable of doing!!

    >You mean what the photographer should be doing when setting the camera.
    >Setting the camera on P or fully automatic and expecting great photos
    >is not reasonable, especially if you are photographing difficult subjects.
    >
    >> An
    >> electronic viewfinder, and good, reliable spot meter. I can't beleive all the
    >> blurry, pixalated, unusable photo's that I have seen from these new cameras. Is
    >> it me or is digital photography gone anal???

    >How did you set the cameras? Did you try aperture priority?
    >

    >> Sorry, thank you for letting me vent. Any and all recomendations would be
    >> seriously considered and greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> I miss my Mavica;
    >> Boyd

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Jul 20, 2003
  4. JK

    Paul H. Guest

    "Peter Jones" <> wrote in message

    > I'd spend some time over at <blah, blah, blah> (URL removed as a public

    service)

    NO! The URL is www.luminous-landscape.com ! If you go to the URL
    originally posted, you'll wind up at one of those endless pop-up "search"
    sites.

    Paul H., Jul 20, 2003