    Are the default setting such that you can get a good picture just by using
    everything on Auto?
    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 3, 2003

  2. HRosita

    Mike Guest

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Congratulation, the 10D sounds like a nice camera from all the reviews.
    > I don't know about the specific Sigma lens you bought but about 12 years

    ago I
    > bought a Sigma 400mm AF for my Maxxum 9xi and have been very happy with

    it.

    > A question for you:
    > Are the default setting such that you can get a good picture just by using
    > everything on Auto?
    > Rosita

    Hi, the 10D's Auto settings seem to be very powerful and they produce a
    wonderful picture in most of the circumstances I have thrown at it so far.
    As I say, I haven't had time to really put the camera through its paces so
    everything I have done so far has been pretty much as you would use a point
    and shoot (which of course the 10D is NOT!). I haven't ventured outside the
    Auto mode yet and I have been pretty much bowled over by the results. So in
    answer to your question - yes Auto is fine. But it would seem to defeat the
    purpose of having such an impressive (not to mention expensive) camera if I
    was to just use it in Auto - it's like owning a Ferrari just to pop around
    in town.
    Mike, Sep 3, 2003

  3. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    Hi Mike,

    The advantage in the DSLR for me is the capability to change lenses, from the
    wide angle to telephoto, to super telephoto, to macro.

    For example my Minolta Maxxum 9Xi is smarter than me and about 80% of the time
    I do not need to change settings.
    I have a 28-135 lens, a 100-300 lens and the Sigma 400. Also a 1.4 extender and
    a 100mm macro.

    I look for the DSLR to focus faster than I can manually, calculate the shutter
    apperture and speed faster than I can and yet give me the capability at times
    to override white balance, etc.

    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 4, 2003