Re: My new 160GB WD IDE drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > I just added a new WD160 hard drive as a slave, currently on Cable
    > Select, to my 3yr old Samsung SP1614N 160GB IDE drive. I was going
    > for a Seagate but TasTech were out of them at the time.
    >
    > I was pleased that I could not detect any more noise, but was
    > surprised to see that SpeedFan was reporting it 6°C hotter than the
    > Samsung, 29°C against 23°C. It also reported a lower fitness than
    > the Samsung, 94% against 97%. On the online analyses of the drive it
    > gets only a 'good' for Raw Read Error Rate and Reallocated Sector
    > Count, where the 3yr old Samsung gets 'very good' all through. The
    > Samsung has a mark off for power-on hours count.
    >
    > When I used Speedfan to check a new SATA2 Seagate 250GB on another PC
    > that also reported 94% fitness on a new drive.
    >
    > I take it that these sorts of figure is normal?

    Yeah, oddly enough. I've just checked a brand new Seagate SATA II 500GB with
    SpeedFan's S.M.A.R.T. tool and it comes out at about 93%/93%. Most of my
    older drives are the same or better, some have a power on count warning too.

    Interestingly that SpeedFan tool is very handy. I recently got a new 500GB
    Seagate (a different one to the one referenced above). I cloned my old disk
    (3 partitions) onto it using Acronis True Image just fine. However, when I
    go to access a certain file on a data partition Windows blue-screens every
    time. I ran Speedfan's S.M.A.R.T. tool on it and got this:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    NOTE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't
    be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write
    operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the
    Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available
    spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap
    operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best
    option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that
    sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

    NOTE : your hard disk has 1 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors
    that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process
    that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough
    idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable
    sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write
    command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if
    available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard
    disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't
    be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan
    to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what
    should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best
    fix to the missing data.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    With a fitness rating of 91/91. The bluescreens are very reproducable,
    defrag that partition and it bluescreens at 49% every time. Try to copy/read
    a certain video file and it bluescreens every time.

    I have SpinRite 6 (the latest version, 2004) so I thought I'd do a re-write
    operation on it overnight but, alas, it doesn't like Intel's IHC9R
    southbridge it would seem, it hangs on "Finding mass storage devices". Same
    with Seagate's own latest Seatools bootable CD. It can't find any drives
    either (and the other two Seagate SATA drives in this machine are running
    fine).

    Luckilly, on me supplying this info, Ascent are happy to send me out a new
    drive and for me to send this one back once I've copied off what I can. (I'm
    thinking I should be fine to get everything except that one file). I've
    heard it said that if a HDD will last a week it will last five years. It
    seems that I got one of the ones that doesn't last a week.

    I've only ever bought one Western Digital HDD new. I wasn't impressed. I
    also bought one Maxtor (before they were a Seagate subsiduary) and one
    Samsung (which oddly enough overheated in a poorly vented case and just kept
    reporting more and more bad sectors every time I tried to use it). Now it's
    a Seagate everytime and this one bad drive hasn't put me off. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:20:38 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >>
    >> NOTE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that
    >> couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting
    >> for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if
    >> available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute,
    >> your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk
    >> surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need
    >> a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option
    >> should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that
    >> sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the
    >> missing data.
    >>
    >> NOTE : your hard disk has 1 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are
    >> sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline
    >> scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard
    >> disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be
    >> forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the
    >> hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite
    >> them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According
    >> to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to
    >> have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be
    >> enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface
    >> scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that
    >> knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some
    >> option to apply the best fix to the missing data.
    >>
    >> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >>
    >> With a fitness rating of 91/91. The bluescreens are very
    >> reproducable, defrag that partition and it bluescreens at 49% every
    >> time. Try to copy/read a certain video file and it bluescreens every
    >> time.
    >>
    >> I have SpinRite 6 (the latest version, 2004) so I thought I'd do a
    >> re-write operation on it overnight but, alas, it doesn't like
    >> Intel's IHC9R southbridge it would seem, it hangs on "Finding mass
    >> storage devices". Same with Seagate's own latest Seatools bootable
    >> CD. It can't find any drives either (and the other two Seagate SATA
    >> drives in this machine are running fine).

    > How would a partitioning tool work where you could resize or move
    > partitiions? That would force a writing action, wouldn't it?

    Quite probably. However, I thought that the drive was vibrating more than
    normal while it was sitting in an exterior cradle (to allow air movement all
    around) when I was first imaging the old HDD to it. (Note to self: Never use
    Acronis' "Clone and wipe old HDD" option again.) So, even if I could fix the
    present problem I no longer have confidence in this drive. I'll try my luck
    with a new one. According to the figures thingy got I have an 82% chance of
    getting a good one.

    > This is my first Western Digital drive. Given that it is newer I
    > thought it would be at least as cool running. I am very pleased with
    > the Samsung.

    Do they have similar airflow around them? Also, S.M.A.R.T. temps aren't
    calibrated to perfection. The main thing is that they read within the
    manufacturers specs and that they're consistent. No spikes of extreme temps.

    > I had two Quantum Fireballs that died with five months,
    > before Quantum were bought by Maxtor, before they were bought by
    > Seagate.

    My earliest drives were Quantums too. I'm pleased that I never got any of
    those Bigfoot drives that apparently were badly handled (think crates being
    dropped) by the NZ distributor/freight company and ended up with a 50%+
    failure rate.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.