Re: MY COMMENTS [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MG, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. MG

    MG Guest

    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

    First time commenting, so I'm a little apprehensive.

    Alan Browne 1 Old
    I like it. But as someone else said, it would be better without the
    window frame in the corner.

    Watchmaker Old 2
    This type of photo doesn't appeal to me, so I can't really comment on it

    Watchmaker Old 1
    Nice photo, but the black Kodak surround should have been cropped off

    Watchmaker 3
    I would like to see a colour version of this. Would it be better? I
    think so.

    Max Duryee 1
    An interesting pattern, but it doesn't translate into an interesting photo.

    Max Duryee 2
    I like this one. Very well done.

    Max Duryee 3
    I like this one too. I like the repetition of the pattern in the
    reflection. I feel that it can somehow be improved, but I'm not sure
    how. What would it be like it was shot from a slight angle instead of
    square on?

    Savageduck 01
    I like the 3 poles in the foreground and 3 chimney stacks in the
    background. I feel the right hand side of the photo is too busy and
    detracts from the photo. Crop off the right 60% and keep the left 40%.

    Savageduck 02
    Again, too busy. It would be better if the boat in the background wasn't
    there, but not much you can do about that.

    Savageduck 03
    This one doesn't do it for me. I couldn't work out what these things
    are. I was thinking along the lines of a keyring ornament. Then I saw
    your post that they are kayaks. Also, they look like they have huge
    amount of noise. As if the photo was taken with a cheap cell phone and
    then heavily cropped.

    otter 1
    Well done. An everyday sight turned into an interesting photo. Could be
    improved the photo had a foundation. Include the bottom (horizontal)
    shelf in the photo.

    otter 2
    Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
    diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.

    otter 3
    This one doesn't work for me. A city scape spoiled by 3 ugly steel towers.

    KurtP 1
    Excellent

    KurtP 2
    OK. Not as good as the previous one.

    KurtP 3
    Nice. I feel that for this mandate (reflections) it could have been
    improved by cropping differently. Have more reflections in the bottom
    right corner. Crop some of the lens in the top left. This will emphasize
    the reflection.

    Tony Cooper Lorikeets
    I don't know what these birds look like in real life, so find it
    difficult to comment. But my first impression is that the birds have
    been over-brightened to the extent that detail has been lost in the
    feathers.

    Tony Cooper Merging Pairs
    For me, railway lines don't make interesting subject matter. But this
    one looks good. The high contrast works well.

    Tony Cooper Marmosets
    This one hasn't worked for me. The eyes are well exposed and in focus.
    But the fur is overexposed with blown highlights which spoils the photo.

    ClearyC bird fight
    A mother feeding her twins, well captured.

    DaveC pair of drops
    Very good. The reflections in the drops are excellent

    ClearyC pair of lovers.
    The insects are well captured. But the background spoils the photo.
    Would look much better if they were on green foliage.

    ClearyC sunflower
    Well captured. Good angle.

    DaveC wave pattern
    To me this has a very artificial look about it. It looks as if the water
    has paint brush streaks in it.

    Tim Conway 3
    Two sets of intersecting patterns. Well done. But the photo is very soft
    which doesn't work for me.

    Tim Conway old 1
    Very good

    Tim Conway old 2
    For this mandate (reflections) this is a missed opportunity. If the
    camera had been pointed down you could have caught the relfectiond of
    the trees in the water.

    Peter Newman fishing net
    This photo is missing a point of interest. If there had been a nice big
    fish in the net .......

    Peter Newman parade
    Another photo that doesn't appeal to me, so I can't comment on it

    Peter Newman strawberry
    Excellent. I like it

    EricS 1
    Very colourful. I like it

    EricS 2
    This one hasn't worked for me. I don't see how it fits mandate. A
    self-portrait in a mirror? There doesn't seem to be a focus point.

    EricS 3
    Very good. The reflection of the balloon is good. Then there is more to
    look at.

    MG
    all three of mine are of egyptian geese

    Bob Coe 1
    The red boat in the foreground is too dominant. It draws attention away
    from the twin buildings. And the brown building on the right edge spoils
    the effect of the twin buildings. Not much you can do about that.

    Bob Coe 2
    An excellent pattern of buses. The overhead cable should have been
    cloned out.

    Bob Coe 3
    Interesting photo, trying to figure out what is real and what is
    reflections. The white rectangle in the upper right corner (with the
    piece of furniture) is out of place in the photo. Crop it out?

    Martha Coe 1
    A good photo showing the patterns of doors and windows

    Martha Coe 2
    Very interesting patterns in the bricks. I wonder if the photo would be
    better if you had zoomed in on these patterns?

    Martha Coe 3
    An interesting building, well captured.

    Bowser 1
    A pair of ferries. Good photo

    Bowser 2
    Nice photo. An interesting entrance to an interesting building. But does
    it fit the mandate?

    Bowser 3
    I like this one. The row of chimneys capture attention. Then on second
    look there is the row of windows.

    Bob Flint 1 and 2
    Neither of these photos has a point of interest. There needs to be a
    bright flower or something. I also don't see the connection to the mandate.

    Bob Flint 3
    Good patterns here. Patterns in the laminating, patterns in the shape of
    the edges. Nice

    Dan Petre 1
    Very good. Nice patterns in the birds.Nice patterns in the background.
    Too much white space on the left, some of this can be cropped out.

    Dan Petre 2
    Excellent. My favourite of the bunch. It is very busy, but instead of
    detracting from the image, it holds my attention trying to figure out
    what is what.

    Alan Browne 2
    Nice photo. Patterns in the mud, timber in the foreground to hold your
    attention. But this is a desolate scene, there shouldn't be vast amounts
    of water in the background.

    MG, Jul 18, 2012

  2. MG

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:28:12 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2012-07-18 07:24:31 -0700, MG <> said:
    :
    : >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
    : >
    : >
    : > First time commenting, so I'm a little apprehensive.
    :
    : No problem, all comments are welcome.
    : The interesting thing for first time comment writers is realizing just
    : how tough it can be to put thought to words and cover all entries. Even
    : writing short one liners takes an effort, ...

    But it's very much worth doing. Criticizing someone else's work forces the
    critic to try to understand what each picture is trying to accomplish; and the
    very fact that one tends to say "This is what (s)he should have done" focuses
    one's attention on how his work measures up to his own intentions. IOW, it's a
    very valuable learning experience as well as an aid to others.

    : so thanks for your input.

    And keep on providing it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2012

  3. MG

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:24:31 +0200, MG <> wrote:
    : > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
    :
    : KurtP 1
    : Excellent

    That picture is, quite simply, the best of the bunch this month. It's
    technically exact; the subject matter is familiar and interesting; and the
    composition is nearly perfect. Two suggestions:
    - Clone out the dark spot in the lower right corner, which I assume is the
    leading edge of a third glass. It's not particularly intrusive; but in a
    picture of this merit, you don't want any distractions.
    - Crop enough off the top to bring the aspect ratio to 8 x 11. (No, there's
    nothing magic about that ratio; but I tried a few, and that's what I liked
    best.) The one thing I might fault about the picture is that the glasses,
    which are the center of attention, sit a tad too low. (Full disclosure: My
    wife's initial reaction (she's more artistic than I am) was that the picture
    is fine as is. But after I explained my rationale, she agreed with me. I
    think.)

    Then file it in your portfolio for when you decide you're ready to start
    approaching gallery owners or the people who buy pictures for hotel rooms.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2012
  4. MG

    otter Guest

    On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <> wrote:
    > >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

    > otter 3
    > This one doesn't work for me. A city scape spoiled by 3 ugly steel towers..

    I hope this doesn't come across as being defensive, but the triplet
    antennas were the point of the picture and what I thought added some
    interest to the shot. Always interesting to get another point of
    view, though.

    otter, Jul 19, 2012
  5. MG

    otter Guest

    otter, Jul 20, 2012
  6. MG

    MG Guest

    On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <> wrote:
    >
    >> otter 2
    >> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
    >> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
    >>

    > This better?
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/7609535164/in/set-72157630666497170/lightbox/

    I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
    the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
    or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
    it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
    so that I could decide.

    MG, Jul 20, 2012
  7. MG

    otter Guest

    On Jul 20, 11:18 am, MG <> wrote:
    > On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <> wrote:

    > >> otter 2
    > >> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
    > >> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.

    > > This better?
    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/7609535164/in/set-721576306...

    > I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
    > the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
    > or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
    > it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
    > so that I could decide.

    Well, won't be able to oblige you with that, although perhaps Bob or
    Bowser can.

    otter, Jul 21, 2012
  8. MG

    NM5K Guest

    On 7/20/2012 11:18 AM, MG wrote:
    > On 20/07/2012 16:30, otter wrote:
    >> On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> otter 2
    >>> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
    >>> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
    >>>

    >> This better?
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/7609535164/in/set-72157630666497170/lightbox/
    >>

    > I was thinking a lot more diagonal than that. I was thinking of shooting
    > the photo from a completely different angle so that the lines run more
    > or less from top left corner to bottom right corner. I'm not sure that
    > it would be better, but I would like to see the two next to each other
    > so that I could decide.

    I did one a couple of years ago that kind of fit that mandate..
    The angles varied depending on which lines you were looking at..
    But I decided to keep the "corner" fairly vertical. I also flipped
    it. It looks like you are looking down on it, but actually I was
    looking up at it when I shot the image. It's also quite cropped from
    the original shot.
    http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/dt50.jpg

    NM5K, Jul 21, 2012
  9. MG

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/20/2012 12:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-20 07:30:26 -0700, otter <> said:
    >
    >> On Jul 18, 9:24 am, MG <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> otter 2
    >>> Good photo. I wonder what it would look like if was composed to produce
    >>> diagonal lines instead of vertical lines.
    >>>

    >> This better?
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/7609535164/in/set-721576306664971
    >>
    >> 70/lightbox/

    > That is actually disturbing.

    Flip it horizontally and put the angles between 30 % 34 degrees.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 21, 2012
  10. MG

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:10:06 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 7/20/2012 12:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> This better?
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/7609535164/in/set-721576306664971
    >>>
    >>> 70/lightbox/

    >> That is actually disturbing.
    >>

    >Flip it horizontally and put the angles between 30 % 34 degrees.

    A photo of something with lines can sometimes be made more interesting
    by diagonalizing the lines. This close-up shows this to some degree
    by the cropping and rotating:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z7yrvxo5bnbkbp/2012-07-04-DIA.jpg

    However, the photo has to be interesting from the get-go. Mine isn't.
    MG's is.

    He really doesn't need to do anything to improve it. As I said, I
    would like that red chair at a thirds intersection point at the lower
    right, but the photo as presented originally works quite well.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2012
  11. MG

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/21/2012 10:18 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:10:06 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> That is actually disturbing.
    >>>

    >> Flip it horizontally and put the angles between 30 % 34 degrees.

    > A photo of something with lines can sometimes be made more interesting
    > by diagonalizing the lines. This close-up shows this to some degree
    > by the cropping and rotating:
    >
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z7yrvxo5bnbkbp/2012-07-04-DIA.jpg
    >
    > However, the photo has to be interesting from the get-go. Mine isn't.
    > MG's is.
    >
    > He really doesn't need to do anything to improve it. As I said, I
    > would like that red chair at a thirds intersection point at the lower
    > right, but the photo as presented originally works quite well.

    I 2as referring to the Duckized version. My comments on the original
    will be made either today or tomorrow.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jul 21, 2012