Re: My Boot Times

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Jul 31, 2010.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message

    > Did a bit of Tiding up.
    >
    > Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
    > ports and 8 usb ports.
    >

    > This is a dual boot system
    >

    > Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
    >

    > Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..

    Try this program
    http://www.soluto.com/
    Craig Sutton, Jul 31, 2010

  2. Craig Sutton

    John Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Did a bit of Tiding up.
    >>
    >> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
    >> ports and 8 usb ports.
    >>

    >> This is a dual boot system
    >>

    >> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
    >>

    >> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
    >>

    > Try this program
    > http://www.soluto.com/

    Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
    software?
    John, Aug 1, 2010

  3. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Did a bit of Tiding up.
    > >>
    > >> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
    > >> ports and 8 usb ports.
    > >>

    > >> This is a dual boot system
    > >>

    > >> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
    > >>

    > >> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
    > >>

    > > Try this program
    > > http://www.soluto.com/

    > Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
    > software?

    I prefer to manually tweak...

    http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Aug 1, 2010
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:24:50 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> "Suzie Wong" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Did a bit of Tiding up.
    >>>
    >>> Bios takes 56sec to load, as it has support for 8 IDE drives and 4 SATA
    >>> ports and 8 usb ports.
    >>>

    >>> This is a dual boot system
    >>>

    >>> Win XP 3 Min's, Win7 1 min
    >>>

    >>> Loads of App's in XP but only 4 are actually loaded..
    >>>

    >> Try this program
    >> http://www.soluto.com/

    > Have you tried this programme Craig, if so what is your opinion of the
    > software?

    I ran it but didn't proceed with the suggested changes
    Craig Sutton, Aug 1, 2010
  5. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > I prefer to manually tweak...
    >
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

    Cool, thanks for the reminder, it's been ages since I've been there
    (although I found that I still actually have the site bookmarked). An
    excellent resource IMO. I must do a (TI) backup and spend a few hours doing
    some tweaking. I have too many programmes running, my machine is getting
    bogged down.

    <rant>
    I hate the way that most of the stuff I install not only starts with Windows
    but also updates automatically by default. Most often, if I install a
    programme and want to use it I'd like to start it myself, use it, then close
    it when I've finished. Not have it already running all the damn time.
    </rant>

    In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
    usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
    I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
    auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
    downloading at any given time and would love to find one.

    Any suggestions? TIA.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.
    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010
  6. Craig Sutton

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:05:03 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and
    > often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at
    > random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
    > *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
    > will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
    > find one.
    >
    > Any suggestions? TIA.

    Hi
    Wireshark will show what's happening.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.5-default
    Malcolm, Aug 3, 2010
  7. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i37q02$520$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > > I prefer to manually tweak...
    > >
    > > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    > >
    > > http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

    > Cool, thanks for the reminder, it's been ages since I've been there
    > (although I found that I still actually have the site bookmarked). An
    > excellent resource IMO. I must do a (TI) backup and spend a few hours doing
    > some tweaking. I have too many programmes running, my machine is getting
    > bogged down.
    >
    > <rant>
    > I hate the way that most of the stuff I install not only starts with Windows
    > but also updates automatically by default. Most often, if I install a
    > programme and want to use it I'd like to start it myself, use it, then close
    > it when I've finished. Not have it already running all the damn time.
    > </rant>
    >
    > In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
    > usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
    > I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
    > auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
    > downloading at any given time and would love to find one.
    >
    > Any suggestions? TIA.

    What Malcolm says - great wee network diag tool.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Aug 3, 2010
  8. Craig Sutton

    Squiggle Guest

    On 3/08/2010 1:05 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    > In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and often,
    > usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at random times)
    > I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by *something* or other
    > auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that will tell me what's
    > downloading at any given time and would love to find one.
    >
    > Any suggestions? TIA.

    Next time you see it try opening a command prompt and typing
    "netstat -abn >> Whodunnit.txt". If it is not running as a service you
    should see which executable file opened the connections.

    Combine that with a wireshark capture and you should be able to identify
    who the culprit is.
    Squiggle, Aug 3, 2010
  9. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:05:03 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top' and
    >> often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm and at
    >> random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
    >> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
    >> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
    >> find one.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? TIA.

    > Hi
    > Wireshark will show what's happening.

    Thanks Malcolm. :)

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010
  10. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On 3/08/2010 1:05 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    > intarwebs:
    >
    >> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top'
    >> and often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm
    >> and at random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
    >> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
    >> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
    >> find one.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? TIA.

    > Next time you see it try opening a command prompt and typing
    > "netstat -abn >> Whodunnit.txt". If it is not running as a service
    > you should see which executable file opened the connections.
    >
    > Combine that with a wireshark capture and you should be able to
    > identify who the culprit is.

    Cheers Squiggs. I've gone through a lot of my background proggies and
    stopped auto-updating anyway. I'm sure many MB's of data is being downloaded
    needlessly.

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010
  11. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <i37q02$520$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> I prefer to manually tweak...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.blackviper.com/wiki/Category:Services

    >> Cool, thanks for the reminder, it's been ages since I've been there
    >> (although I found that I still actually have the site bookmarked). An
    >> excellent resource IMO. I must do a (TI) backup and spend a few
    >> hours doing some tweaking. I have too many programmes running, my
    >> machine is getting bogged down.
    >>
    >> <rant>
    >> I hate the way that most of the stuff I install not only starts with
    >> Windows but also updates automatically by default. Most often, if I
    >> install a programme and want to use it I'd like to start it myself,
    >> use it, then close it when I've finished. Not have it already
    >> running all the damn time. </rant>
    >>
    >> In a similar vein. I have a small DU Meter window 'always on top'
    >> and often, usually after I start the computer (but also around 7pm
    >> and at random times) I see multiple MBs of data being pulled down by
    >> *something* or other auto-updating. I don't have an app or util that
    >> will tell me what's downloading at any given time and would love to
    >> find one.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? TIA.

    > What Malcolm says - great wee network diag tool.

    Thanks Dave, grabbing it now.

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010