Re: Multiple OS

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Ken Briscoe, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > My office has about 15 computers on the network. Some computers have
    Windows, 2000 or XP. We are looking to upgrade MS Office to the 2003
    Professional or the Offfice XP application, but we need to know if we
    should have every computer on the same operating system? The business that
    manages our server informed us that there would not be conflicts between
    the application software and the different operating systems. Is this true?
    If not, why? Can anyone help me ?

    > I makes sense to us non-teckies that one operating system reduces

    conflicts with application software and gives us a common desktop operating
    system architecture.

    In a perfect world, all your desktop computers would be running the same
    OS, but in the real world, this frequently isn't the case. It would be
    easier to troubleshoot installation, network, printing, and other Office
    (and non-Office) related issues if every computer used the same OS. That
    said, it is by no means necessary to have the same OS on all computers to
    install one application on said computers. The OS must be compatible with
    the application, but it doesn't have to be the same as it's fellow desktop
    computers. Both Windows 2000 and Windows XP are fully compatible with
    Office XP and Office 2003. Installation routine should be exactly the same,
    and the program should function exactly the same, regardless of which OS
    you install it on - so long as the OS is compatible (that means NO Windows
    95, Linux, and other "oddball" OSs).

    HTH

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26