Re: MS Vista and a HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/06/2011 5:54 p.m., Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Ok my partners computer is a 2008 model HP Pavilion a62220a
    >
    > In the last week during boot and in the bios stage around post the
    > message saying the only hard drive in the machine (immnent Hard disk
    > failure).
    >
    > Ok I get that is a smart feature and have seen the results
    >
    > I intend on backing up the user data first to usb hard drive and putting
    > it on another machine they have. Not a problem.
    >
    > To fix the thing by putting another hard drive in computer would be the
    > way to go. just that that machine has the partition with the install
    > files for the Vista OS. Problem is new hard drive wont have the install
    > files.
    >
    > Option one use the dd program on my linux box to copy the original hard
    > drive to the new drive that I will be getting at a later date then
    > fixing up the partition table with gparted.
    >
    > Is there and option to create install media so I can install from that,
    > state to new hard drive? the machine still functions I have taken out
    > the power cord.
    >
    > If they bought Windows 7 the upgrade version will it need the original
    > install media or install on hard drive? or can it be installed clean
    > with only the original licence.
    >
    > From my point of view I would just put a fresh hard drive with a
    > install of some nix but there daughter has a lot of games that are
    > played on windows.

    Robert

    Option one should be to use the Restore Disk creator software that
    should be on the PC already.
    I often see owners completely ingore this, including the prompts to do
    so when the computer is new.

    If there is no Icon on the desktop, look under All Programs, often under
    a folder named "HP".

    Option two is of course to buy the disks from HP, as it's only 3 years
    old they should be still available.

    The one caveat to burning the Restore disks is you will be creating the
    Restore disks from a possibly corrupt source.
    Under those circumstances the other options of Imaging the drive or
    installing from an OEM disk should be considered.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 9, 2011

  2. PeeCee

    malone Guest

    On 10-Jun-2011 10:58 am, PeeCee wrote:
    > On 9/06/2011 5:54 p.m., Robert Cooze wrote:
    >> Ok my partners computer is a 2008 model HP Pavilion a62220a
    >>
    >> In the last week during boot and in the bios stage around post the
    >> message saying the only hard drive in the machine (immnent Hard disk
    >> failure).
    >>
    >> Ok I get that is a smart feature and have seen the results
    >>
    >> I intend on backing up the user data first to usb hard drive and putting
    >> it on another machine they have. Not a problem.
    >>
    >> To fix the thing by putting another hard drive in computer would be the
    >> way to go. just that that machine has the partition with the install
    >> files for the Vista OS. Problem is new hard drive wont have the install
    >> files.
    >>
    >> Option one use the dd program on my linux box to copy the original hard
    >> drive to the new drive that I will be getting at a later date then
    >> fixing up the partition table with gparted.
    >>
    >> Is there and option to create install media so I can install from that,
    >> state to new hard drive? the machine still functions I have taken out
    >> the power cord.
    >>
    >> If they bought Windows 7 the upgrade version will it need the original
    >> install media or install on hard drive? or can it be installed clean
    >> with only the original licence.
    >>
    >> From my point of view I would just put a fresh hard drive with a
    >> install of some nix but there daughter has a lot of games that are
    >> played on windows.
    >>

    > Robert
    >
    > Option one should be to use the Restore Disk creator software that
    > should be on the PC already.
    > I often see owners completely ingore this, including the prompts to do
    > so when the computer is new.
    >
    > If there is no Icon on the desktop, look under All Programs, often under
    > a folder named "HP".
    >
    > Option two is of course to buy the disks from HP, as it's only 3 years
    > old they should be still available.
    >
    > The one caveat to burning the Restore disks is you will be creating the
    > Restore disks from a possibly corrupt source.
    > Under those circumstances the other options of Imaging the drive or
    > installing from an OEM disk should be considered.
    >

    > Best
    > Paul.

    A bit off-topic, but my experience with MS Vista and a HP Pavilion
    dv6000 was not good.

    After struggling with Vista for a year I needed to reinstall the
    operating system from scratch as it had become practically unusable. I
    then discovered that the volume HP_RECOVERY must have been corrupt as it
    wouldn't reinstall the OS. Worse still, the DVDs I burned, as
    instructed, immediately after purchase didn't work either. As the
    machine was over a year old neither the retailer nor HP were prepared to
    help at all.

    I then decided that I was better off without Vista and purchased Windows
    7 and the machine is working reasonably well now. But I find this
    business of manufacturers not providing the OS on a factory prepared CD
    or DVD is very unsatisfactory..
    malone, Jun 10, 2011

  3. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 10/06/2011 1:32 p.m., malone wrote:
> [...]

    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > A bit off-topic, but my experience with MS Vista and a HP Pavilion
    > dv6000 was not good.
    >
    > After struggling with Vista for a year I needed to reinstall the
    > operating system from scratch as it had become practically unusable. I
    > then discovered that the volume HP_RECOVERY must have been corrupt as it
    > wouldn't reinstall the OS. Worse still, the DVDs I burned, as
    > instructed, immediately after purchase didn't work either. As the
    > machine was over a year old neither the retailer nor HP were prepared to
    > help at all.
    >
    > I then decided that I was better off without Vista and purchased Windows
    > 7 and the machine is working reasonably well now. But I find this
    > business of manufacturers not providing the OS on a factory prepared CD

    I can only say 'Hear Hear' to that.

    Not so common now that Office & Works are not bundled with new PC's, but
    a few years ago the 'angst' displayed by customers who hadn't burn't
    their disks was palapable.

    'but I paid for Word, where is it...'

    It's one of the reasons I'm looking at hanging my hat up as their angst
    somehow becomes 'my' problem and I'm completely over that.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  4. PeeCee

> [...]

    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > A bit off-topic, but my experience with MS Vista and a HP Pavilion
    > dv6000 was not good.
    >
    > After struggling with Vista for a year I needed to reinstall the
    > operating system from scratch as it had become practically unusable. I
    > then discovered that the volume HP_RECOVERY must have been corrupt as it
    > wouldn't reinstall the OS. Worse still, the DVDs I burned, as
    > instructed, immediately after purchase didn't work either. As the
    > machine was over a year old neither the retailer nor HP were prepared to
    > help at all.
    >
    > I then decided that I was better off without Vista and purchased Windows
    > 7 and the machine is working reasonably well now. But I find this
    > business of manufacturers not providing the OS on a factory prepared CD

    Meant to comment on the bum burn.

    Had a Vaio Laptops through here, one of two bought together at the same
    time in the same shop, identical models.

    Hard drive dying in this one after 2 years (symptoms from purchase
    suggest it was crook from new) but managed to create a set of Restore DVD's.

    New Hard Drive installed and the 'Restore Disks' wouldn't work.
    Something was wrong with the last disk.
    Brain wave, get the restore DVD's from the other Laptop and use them.
    (remember exactly the same model)
    Boot Laptop, 'Not the right model, 'Restoration will close'
    F.... &$%%$##@! SOB <expletive deleted> SONY.

    Thought about it for a while.
    Boot from first disk of the set burned from Laptop with dying HD.
    Used disk two etc of set from it's brother.
    Hey it worked, TG for that.

    Sometimes you get lucky.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2011
  5. In article <isrs77$l8b$>, wrote:
    (snip)

    >A bit off-topic, but my experience with MS Vista and a HP Pavilion
    >dv6000 was not good.
    >
    >After struggling with Vista for a year I needed to reinstall the
    >operating system from scratch as it had become practically unusable. I
    >then discovered that the volume HP_RECOVERY must have been corrupt as it
    >wouldn't reinstall the OS. Worse still, the DVDs I burned, as
    >instructed, immediately after purchase didn't work either. As the
    >machine was over a year old neither the retailer nor HP were prepared to
    >help at all.

    Consumer guarantees act .. unless it was a business computer of course. :)

    >I then decided that I was better off without Vista and purchased Windows
    >7 and the machine is working reasonably well now. But I find this
    >business of manufacturers not providing the OS on a factory prepared CD
    >or DVD is very unsatisfactory..

    ... but agree that this is probably a much more satisfactory solution for
    the users. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 13, 2011