Re: MS or Cisco certs?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Harry, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Thank you very much to both that responded so quickly.
    You have helped me with what I need to do. My
    greatest "fulfillment" in getting these certs I think
    will be that I'd be able to keep up with all the trends,
    repair and secure my pc and hopefully pass this knowledge
    off to my kids. Thanks once again.

    Harry

    most of the concepts
    >of networking etc. So unless you have a brain like a

    planet this might take
    >you a little longer than you think.
    >
    >That is really good info from billyw.
    >
    >You need a very solid foundation in TCP/IP, routing,

    routing protocols, OSI
    >layers and how computers use them in network

    communication, at least some
    >programming skills in the common languages used by

    hackers, and much more.
    >And, I'm only giving you what I know as a newbie in

    studying security.

    >Security is what really lights my fire too. I've found

    that it isn't easy
    >getting into the field, though I think the reward is

    worth the effort. Many
    >of the advanced certs require that you have hands-on

    experience before you
    >are even allowed to test for them too. I really think

    that to have a really
    >good grasp of security a person needs to be good in a

    lot of areas: network
    >administration, system administration, and programming,

    and even the
    >pschology of it. Then all that knowledge and experience

    needs to be
    >integrated together to gain the overall understand of

    what you are
    >protecting, why you're protecting it, how you are going

    to go about doing
    >that, and then understanding the different methods used

    by attackers so you
    >can design an overall plan of defense, and how to

    respond when you are. I
    >don't think that anyone can do an adequate job of

    understanding security
    >without quite a bit of actual experience in the areas I

    listed above.

    >But, all that being said, I still think the time,

    effort, and dedication it
    >takes to do all the above is worth it. I was where you

    are a little over 2
    >years ago. Now I've got my A+, I'm one test away from

    my MCSE, and will be
    >testing for my CCNA next week. I figure these are just

    the beginning steps
    >on my journey, but they are milestones anyway.
    >
    >Don't let the distance to go discourage you. The

    journey getting there is
    >half the fun. At least it is if you really do enjoy the

    technology and the
    >learning. In this field you'll never stop the learning

    part. :)

    >"Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello. Can anyone tell me the best route to take either
    >> with MS certs or Cisco certs? My interest is mainly

    going
    >> for the Security certs. With all the different certs

    out
    >> there these days, it's hard to decide the correct path
    >> for myself.
    >> My little experience is that I'm at a point where I

    might
    >> (and stress might) be able to pass the A+ cert with

    some

    Harry, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Harry

    Gary K Guest

    BTW, Harry, that email address made me laugh.

    Good luck.

    Gary K, Sep 13, 2003