Re: MS Ends Support for CP/M80

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Johnstone, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. In <> Patrick Dunford
    wrote:

    > Yeah right - when was MS responsible for CP/M80 and why did they only
    > end support in 1999?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    >
    > CPM/80 Operating System Not Available 01-Jul-1999 Not Applicable

    Microsoft used to sell a Z80 coprocessor card, together with CP/M, for
    the Apple II. I have no idea why they only ended support in 1999. Maybe
    someone didn't notice it was still there until then?

    I always find it amusing that the first operating system Microsoft sold
    was for an Apple computer.

    From the timeline at the Apple II History website:
    http://apple2history.org/history/appy/ahb2.html#1979

    1980 March

    The Microsoft Z-80 SoftCard (later called just "Microsoft SoftCard")
    first demonstrated at the Fourth West Coast Computer Faire. This card
    provided a Z-80 processor that was used parallel to the 6502 on the
    motherboard, allowing the Apple II to run CP/M software. It sold 5,000
    in just three months, and continued to be a popular product for several
    years.

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Roger Johnstone
    > In <> Patrick Dunford
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah right - when was MS responsible for CP/M80 and why did they only
    > > end support in 1999?
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    > >
    > > CPM/80 Operating System Not Available 01-Jul-1999 Not Applicable

    > Microsoft used to sell a Z80 coprocessor card, together with CP/M, for
    > the Apple II. I have no idea why they only ended support in 1999. Maybe
    > someone didn't notice it was still there until then?
    >
    > I always find it amusing that the first operating system Microsoft sold
    > was for an Apple computer.

    Does this predate Xenix?
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 24, 2004

  3. In <> Patrick Dunford
    wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone
    >> In <> Patrick Dunford
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Yeah right - when was MS responsible for CP/M80 and why did they
    >> > only end support in 1999?
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    >> >
    >> > CPM/80 Operating System Not Available 01-Jul-1999 Not
    >> > Applicable

    >> Microsoft used to sell a Z80 coprocessor card, together with CP/M,
    >> for the Apple II. I have no idea why they only ended support in 1999.
    >> Maybe someone didn't notice it was still there until then? I always
    >> find it amusing that the first operating system Microsoft sold was
    >> for an Apple computer.

    > Does this predate Xenix?

    I forgot about Xenix! From a quick search it looks like Microsoft didn't
    release it until 1980 at the earliest, the same year they were selling
    CP/M, and even then most references seem to imply they only licensed it
    to OEMs to modify and sell.

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 25, 2004