Re: MS axes IE on Mac

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip Roy, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Philip Roy

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > > > No, they have *not* committed to a PC version of the iTunes jukebox
    > > > program. What they have committed to is access to the Music Store for
    > > > Windows users. They could do that in a number of ways, only one of
    > > > which would be doing a Windows version of iTunes.
    > > >
    > > > -- Bruce

    > > This is what I read...so it may be iTunes (PC) or not....
    > >
    > > http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/04/20030428174629.shtml

    > 1) that's two months old
    > 2) it's only quoting someone else's article, not what Jobs actually has
    > said
    > 3) it talks about Apple and AOL. AOL has since partnered with MS (and
    > been paid $750m by them to kill Netscape and use MS technologies
    > exclusively)
    >
    > -- Bruce

    OK...here's one that's now 2 days old...

    http://www.macrumors.com/

    > PaidContent.org posted some notes from Peter Lowe's keynote speech at the
    > Jupiter Plug.In Conference . Peter Lowe is Apple's director of Marketing for
    > Applications and Services.
    >
    > In his speech, Lowe reiterates that iTunes for Windows is still on track to
    > launch by the end of the year and "certainly it is our intention to have
    > broad music rights..."

    Phil
    --
    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi
    Philip Roy, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Philip Roy

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > OK...here's one that's now 2 days old...
    >
    > http://www.macrumors.com/
    >
    > > PaidContent.org posted some notes from Peter Lowe's keynote speech at the
    > > Jupiter Plug.In Conference . Peter Lowe is Apple's director of Marketing
    > > for
    > > Applications and Services.
    > >
    > > In his speech, Lowe reiterates that iTunes for Windows is still on track to
    > > launch by the end of the year and "certainly it is our intention to have
    > > broad music rights..."

    And once again highly ambiguous whether he's talking about the iTunes
    jukebox software, or the iTunes Music Store.

    But I will say that it's looking a lot less likely that they'll use the
    jukebox software they've been bundling with the iPod, since those guys
    appear to be planning to compete with Apple in online music sales.
    Unless that's disinformation, of course...

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Philip Roy

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > OK...here's one that's now 2 days old...
    > >
    > > http://www.macrumors.com/
    > >
    > > > PaidContent.org posted some notes from Peter Lowe's keynote speech at the
    > > > Jupiter Plug.In Conference . Peter Lowe is Apple's director of Marketing
    > > > for
    > > > Applications and Services.
    > > >
    > > > In his speech, Lowe reiterates that iTunes for Windows is still on track
    > > > launch by the end of the year and "certainly it is our intention to have
    > > > broad music rights..."

    > And once again highly ambiguous whether he's talking about the iTunes
    > jukebox software, or the iTunes Music Store.
    >
    > But I will say that it's looking a lot less likely that they'll use the
    > jukebox software they've been bundling with the iPod, since those guys
    > appear to be planning to compete with Apple in online music sales.
    > Unless that's disinformation, of course...
    >
    > -- Bruce

    Now do you believe it?....

    http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5088849.html
    http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/09/ituneswindows/

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Philip Roy

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  5. Philip Roy

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK...here's one that's now 2 days old...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.macrumors.com/

    > > And once again highly ambiguous whether he's talking about the iTunes
    > > jukebox software, or the iTunes Music Store.
    > >
    > > But I will say that it's looking a lot less likely that they'll use the
    > > jukebox software they've been bundling with the iPod, since those guys
    > > appear to be planning to compete with Apple in online music sales.
    > > Unless that's disinformation, of course...
    > >
    > > -- Bruce

    > Now do you believe it?....
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5088849.html
    > http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/09/ituneswindows/

    What exactly am I supposed to believe? All they've said is "The year's
    biggest music story is about to get even bigger".

    Yeah, I agree it's probably about making the iTunes music store
    available to Windows users, but it *could* be about something else. And
    Apple have still never actually said that they're porting the iTunes
    jukebox program to Windows -- they could just as well be doing a plug-in
    for some other program, such as MusicMatch. I sure *hope* not, but
    we'll know this time next week, so why speculate now?

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Philip Roy

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > > > And once again highly ambiguous whether he's talking about the iTunes
    > > > jukebox software, or the iTunes Music Store.
    > > >
    > > > But I will say that it's looking a lot less likely that they'll use the
    > > > jukebox software they've been bundling with the iPod, since those guys
    > > > appear to be planning to compete with Apple in online music sales.
    > > > Unless that's disinformation, of course...
    > > >
    > > > -- Bruce

    > > Now do you believe it?....
    > >
    > > http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5088849.html
    > > http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/09/ituneswindows/

    > What exactly am I supposed to believe? All they've said is "The year's
    > biggest music story is about to get even bigger".
    >
    > Yeah, I agree it's probably about making the iTunes music store
    > available to Windows users, but it *could* be about something else. And
    > Apple have still never actually said that they're porting the iTunes
    > jukebox program to Windows -- they could just as well be doing a plug-in
    > for some other program, such as MusicMatch. I sure *hope* not, but
    > we'll know this time next week, so why speculate now?
    >
    > -- Bruce

    *NOW* do you believe it????????

    http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html

    :)

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Philip Roy

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > > > Now do you believe it?....
    > > >
    > > > http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5088849.html
    > > > http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/09/ituneswindows/

    > > What exactly am I supposed to believe? All they've said is "The year's
    > > biggest music story is about to get even bigger".
    > >
    > > Yeah, I agree it's probably about making the iTunes music store
    > > available to Windows users, but it *could* be about something else. And
    > > Apple have still never actually said that they're porting the iTunes
    > > jukebox program to Windows -- they could just as well be doing a plug-in
    > > for some other program, such as MusicMatch. I sure *hope* not, but
    > > we'll know this time next week, so why speculate now?
    > >
    > > -- Bruce

    > *NOW* do you believe it????????
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html
    >
    > :)

    Of course. Why wouldn't I?

    So they've sold 13 million songs to date. And in February/March they're
    going to GIVE AWAY 100 million songs. Holy cow. They really, really
    want every Windows user to install iTunes, and it'll probably work too.

    I'm after the media reader myself, so I can dump photos from the digital
    camera direct to my iPod (30 GB!) and not have to cart around the laptop
    for when the camera fills up.

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Philip Roy

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > Of course. Why wouldn't I?
    >

    > So they've sold 13 million songs to date. And in February/March they're
    > going to GIVE AWAY 100 million songs. Holy cow. They really, really
    > want every Windows user to install iTunes, and it'll probably work too.
    >
    > I'm after the media reader myself, so I can dump photos from the digital
    > camera direct to my iPod (30 GB!) and not have to cart around the laptop
    > for when the camera fills up.

    Yeah, there are some pretty cool accessories for the iPod, I saw the FM
    transmittor which looked pretty cool - I wish there was a receiver as
    well. Even with my entire music collection on my iPod (20GB) I still get
    a little tired of my music and would just like to listen to the radio
    sometimes...

    The voice recorder could be handy too.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Philip Roy

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    madknoxie <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > > Of course. Why wouldn't I?
    > >

    > > So they've sold 13 million songs to date. And in February/March they're
    > > going to GIVE AWAY 100 million songs. Holy cow. They really, really
    > > want every Windows user to install iTunes, and it'll probably work too.
    > >
    > > I'm after the media reader myself, so I can dump photos from the digital
    > > camera direct to my iPod (30 GB!) and not have to cart around the laptop
    > > for when the camera fills up.

    > Yeah, there are some pretty cool accessories for the iPod, I saw the FM
    > transmittor which looked pretty cool - I wish there was a receiver as
    > well. Even with my entire music collection on my iPod (20GB) I still get
    > a little tired of my music and would just like to listen to the radio
    > sometimes...
    >
    > The voice recorder could be handy too.

    I'm curious as to whether there's some way round the use of gift
    certificates that will allow non-US people access to the tunes. Rather
    than repeat myself, just check out what I mean on my forum site (I don't
    cross post anywhere!!)...3rd post down....

    http://www.nzmac.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=377

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Philip Roy

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > I'm curious as to whether there's some way round the use of gift
    > certificates that will allow non-US people access to the tunes.

    I'm sure it would work.

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Philip Roy

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm curious as to whether there's some way round the use of gift
    > > certificates that will allow non-US people access to the tunes.

    > I'm sure it would work.
    >
    > -- Bruce

    Looks like some has come up with something like it....

    "....iTMS entrepreneurs - Some enterprising party has found a niche
    along side Apple's iTunes Music store and found a roundabout way to
    allow consumers to purchase music from the iTunes Music Store without a
    credit card. By setting up a gift certificate and then allowing the
    customer to reimburse (with a small processing fee) via PayPal, a person
    can effectively purchase iTunes songs without a credit card. No comment
    from Apple is yet available, but it seems unlikely the company will be
    able to stop people from doing this....."

    Source : http://www.spymac.com/

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Oct 23, 2003