Re: M's are up! Come see!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vance, Mar 6, 2011.

  1. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Mar 5, 6:26 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > At last, the M's are available for viewing:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_m

    Mask Shot:

    Tony, the person, or company, that made the mask didn't do that to the
    eyes. It's added.
    It is quirky, intentionally. Sometimes that works, sometimes it
    doesn't and it never works for everyone. When it interferes with the
    appreciation of the image itself and I felt it might, then that's not
    good.

    Otter pretty much nailed where the shot was headed - creepy - though I
    prefer to keep things on this side of the 'disturbing' fence.

    Spilled Milk: For those that liked the shot, I'm glad.

    Model Car and M&M's: Inspired by a simpler time. Some of us are old
    enough to remember when store windows might have jars filled with
    Jelly Beans, or some such thing. For guessing how many whatevers
    there were in the jar you could win a gift certificate, or some
    prize. Back in the 60's at the Hillsdale Mall in the S.F.Bay Area, I
    saw a car in the middle of the mall filled with Jelly Beans and if you
    guessed how many there were, you would win the car.

    Model car (era appropriate 1966 Chevy Chevelle), M&M's and a hidden
    'M' tie-in, the mall. Had to do something with it.

    About the name thing, an oversight and I applogize.

    Vance

    Vance, Mar 6, 2011

  2. Vance

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 06:59:44 -0800 (PST), Vance <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 5, 6:26 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> At last, the M's are available for viewing:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_m
    >>

    >Mask Shot:
    >
    >Tony, the person, or company, that made the mask didn't do that to the
    >eyes. It's added.
    >It is quirky, intentionally. Sometimes that works, sometimes it
    >doesn't and it never works for everyone. When it interferes with the
    >appreciation of the image itself and I felt it might, then that's not
    >good.

    Presenting a photograph is a race. Will the viewer take in the
    photograph as a whole first, or will the viewer's attention go first
    to some part of the photograph? When there is one part of the photo
    that is extra-noticable, the photographer takes a chance that the
    overall image won't be appreciated.

    Overall, I liked the mask. I had to back off and consider the whole
    image to do so, though. I think it was the pattern of what was added,
    and not that "something" was added.

    >Otter pretty much nailed where the shot was headed - creepy - though I
    >prefer to keep things on this side of the 'disturbing' fence.
    >
    >Spilled Milk: For those that liked the shot, I'm glad.

    I ranked it as one of my favorites.

    >Model Car and M&M's: Inspired by a simpler time. Some of us are old
    >enough to remember when store windows might have jars filled with
    >Jelly Beans, or some such thing. For guessing how many whatevers
    >there were in the jar you could win a gift certificate, or some
    >prize. Back in the 60's at the Hillsdale Mall in the S.F.Bay Area, I
    >saw a car in the middle of the mall filled with Jelly Beans and if you
    >guessed how many there were, you would win the car.
    >
    >Model car (era appropriate 1966 Chevy Chevelle), M&M's and a hidden
    >'M' tie-in, the mall. Had to do something with it.
    >
    >About the name thing, an oversight and I applogize.

    I thought it was one of Frank Ess's images. I associate car photos
    with Frank and SavageDuck, and this was obviously not one of the
    Duck's.

    This was a photo that I rated so-so for interest, but very high for
    technical accomplishment. The set-up, the lighting, and the use of
    color are admirable.

    Table-top photography is an interesting and difficult exercise. We
    can forgive minor problems in grab shots like SavageDuck's sheep
    because we take in the whole photo. We relate to the photographer's
    instinct in seeing the scene and knowing it is a photographic
    opportunity. We know the photographer couldn't change anything in the
    shot.

    We don't forgive anything in table-tops, though. They're posed and
    the photographer can take numerous re-takes to adjust lighting and
    details. Therefore, the standards are higher.

    Someone mentioned that two strawberries in my mango shot should be
    reversed in position. It's a valid point, but no one would suggest
    that two sheep in the Duck's photo should be switched in position.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 6, 2011

  3. Vance

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 10:47:09 -0500, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : Someone mentioned that two strawberries in my mango shot should be
    : reversed in position. It's a valid point, but no one would suggest
    : that two sheep in the Duck's photo should be switched in position.

    The situations aren't comparable. You could easily have switched the
    strawberries; the Duck would probably have had to hire a dog to help switch
    the sheep. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 6, 2011
  4. Vance

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:13:12 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 10:47:09 -0500, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: Someone mentioned that two strawberries in my mango shot should be
    >: reversed in position. It's a valid point, but no one would suggest
    >: that two sheep in the Duck's photo should be switched in position.
    >
    >The situations aren't comparable. You could easily have switched the
    >strawberries; the Duck would probably have had to hire a dog to help switch
    >the sheep. ;^)

    That was my point, Bob. I was making the point that table-top
    photographs are not comparable to grab shots because the scene can't
    be changed in a grab shot but can be in a table-top shot. Thus the
    higher standards for table-tops.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 6, 2011