Re: MS answer to Lunix..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:26:35 +0530, Rupert wrote:

    > can't believe it's really b/c of linux but rather the fact you can pick up
    > a copy of XP with XP plus for around US$5

    If you pay that much, you're being ripped off. Ask for the non-longnose price
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 16, 2003

  2. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:02:09 +0530, Rupert wrote:

    > well i get cd's for 100 baht usually, cheaper for music - but i couldn't
    > be bothered working out the exchange rate.

    that's about US$3, still too much. :)
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Uncle StoatWarbler

    m00se Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > that's about US$3, still too much. :)

    Kinda broke these days huh?
    m00se, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Uncle StoatWarbler

    m00se Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    >>>that's about US$3, still too much. :)

    >>Kinda broke these days huh?

    > I use Suse and Slackware, no MS at all.
    >
    > Getting back onto the thread (cheap MS releases in Thailand), the average
    > Thai is earning less than US$5/day (It's lower elsewhere, Malaysia and the
    > Philippines are about US$3/day per family), which puts a US$80 package out
    > of reach of most.

    which also puts a US$1000 PC out of reach...
    m00se, Aug 18, 2003
  5. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:53:07 +1200, m00se wrote:

    >> that's about US$3, still too much. :)

    > Kinda broke these days huh?

    I use Suse and Slackware, no MS at all.

    Getting back onto the thread (cheap MS releases in Thailand), the average
    Thai is earning less than US$5/day (It's lower elsewhere, Malaysia and the
    Philippines are about US$3/day per family), which puts a US$80 package out
    of reach of most.

    Even US$10 is going to be a struggle. I doubt it will have any effect on
    the levels of piracy when the counterfeit product is 1/3 the price and
    works just as well - it's not like a fake cartier watch, after all.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Uncle StoatWarbler

    m00se Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > They don't cost $1000 there.
    >
    > The Thai govt is flogging cheap laptops to citizens for US$300 or less and
    > you can pick up a basic spec P3/P4 box for around US$200 or less.

    So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?
    m00se, Aug 18, 2003
  7. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:29:52 +1200, Lennier <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:52:40 +1200, m00se wrote:
    >
    >> So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

    >Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
    >the time connected.
    >
    >AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
    >
    >AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
    >
    >AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!
    >
    >Lennier

    And get no support and very few decent Apps..

    Please do not Joke as its hurting my sides..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003
  8. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:40:36 +1200, Lennier <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:00:57 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:
    >
    >>>Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
    >>>the time connected.
    >>>
    >>>AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
    >>>
    >>>AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
    >>>
    >>>AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!

    >> And get no support and very few decent Apps.

    >Well, that would be the case if you call Mozilla, Evolution, Pan, the
    >Gimp, Open Office, Smbd, ftpd, Sendmail, Fetchmail, Iptables, Apache, to
    >be "very few decent apps" - and that covers most of what people use their
    >computers for.
    >
    >Lennier

    And most can't even post a stick at MS programs can they..

    Plus its no a Home OS and no shops around here support it.
    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003
  9. Uncle StoatWarbler

    m00se Guest

    m00se wrote:

    > Youre missing my point, anyone who cant afford US$200 for a PC, cant
    > complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.

    Correction:

    Youre missing my point, anyone who _can_ afford US$200 for a PC, cant
    complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.
    m00se, Aug 18, 2003
  10. "m00se" <> wrote in message
    > Lennier wrote:
    > > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:52:40 +1200, m00se wrote:
    > >

    > >>So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

    > > Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
    > > the time connected.
    > >
    > > AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
    > >
    > > AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
    > >
    > > AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!
    > >
    > > Lennier
    > >

    > Youre missing my point, anyone who cant afford US$200 for a PC, cant
    > complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.

    But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to pay
    for an operating system.
    Is $US3 worth claiming as a refund if you don't use it ?
    ;)
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  11. "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > Well, that would be the case if you call Mozilla, Evolution, Pan, the
    > Gimp, Open Office, Smbd, ftpd, Sendmail, Fetchmail, Iptables, Apache, to
    > be "very few decent apps" - and that covers most of what people use their
    > computers for.

    Iptables isn't an application
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  12. "Lennier" <> wrote in message

    > LOL - Sendmail, Fetchmail, Samba, and Apache are only the most commonly
    > used servers on the internet today. Micro$oft does not have any software
    > which can come even close to the performance and stability of those
    > programmes.

    Sendmail and Apache are available for Windows
    Qmail is a better choice than Sendmail
    Fetchmail isn't a server

    Samba is totally dependent on Microsoft networking, there is nothing about
    the performance and stability of Microsoft networking that doesn't affect
    Samba.

    Arguing with woger is pointless
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  13. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:50:31 +1200, "Howard Johnson" <> wrote:

    >"Lennier" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> LOL - Sendmail, Fetchmail, Samba, and Apache are only the most commonly
    >> used servers on the internet today. Micro$oft does not have any software
    >> which can come even close to the performance and stability of those
    >> programmes.
    >>

    >Sendmail and Apache are available for Windows
    >Qmail is a better choice than Sendmail
    >Fetchmail isn't a server
    >
    >Samba is totally dependent on Microsoft networking, there is nothing about
    >the performance and stability of Microsoft networking that doesn't affect
    >Samba.
    >
    >Arguing with woger is pointless

    Yes teenagers just don't have a clue..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 19, 2003
  14. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:21:54 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to

    pay
    > > for an operating system.

    > preinstalled is not free installed.
    >
    > The OEM cost is about $120, which is in the price you paid somewhere.

    But not in Thailand ;)
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  15. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:50:31 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:
    >

    > > Samba is totally dependent on Microsoft networking, there is nothing

    about
    > > the performance and stability of Microsoft networking that doesn't

    affect
    > > Samba.

    > Check out www.samba.org - 3.0rc is out and it's a complete NT server
    > replacement right down to active directory, etc.

    Thats great, I'll use it.
    But its a server to serve windows workstations, making ridiculous claims
    about performance and stability in isolation is complete nonsense
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 19, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 19, 2003
  18. Uncle StoatWarbler

    Mutley Guest

    "Howard Johnson" <> wrote:

    >"m00se" <> wrote in message
    >> Lennier wrote:

    S for it.

    >But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to pay
    >for an operating system.
    >Is $US3 worth claiming as a refund if you don't use it ?
    >;)

    "But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have
    to pay >for an operating system."

    Where have you been?? Having Windows pre installed costs up to
    NZ$300 on top of the hardware..
    Mutley, Aug 19, 2003
  19. "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > "Howard Johnson" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"m00se" <> wrote in message
    > >> Lennier wrote:

    > S for it.
    > >>

    > >But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to

    pay
    > >for an operating system.
    > >Is $US3 worth claiming as a refund if you don't use it ?
    > >;)
    > >

    > "But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have
    > to pay >for an operating system."
    >
    > Where have you been?? Having Windows pre installed costs up to
    > NZ$300 on top of the hardware..

    Not in any of the shop windows in this town.
    I'm sure the licence costs the manufacturer $X and they recover it in the
    total price.
    Tell me what refund I will be offered for giving it back?
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  20. Uncle StoatWarbler

    T.N.O Guest

    "Lennier" wrote
    > > So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

    > Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
    > the time connected.

    On dialup, $24 a month, so ~80c a day.
    3-5 days downloading it, thats more than $3, may as well pirate windows,
    cheaper :)
    T.N.O, Aug 19, 2003