Re: MS answer to Linux..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by dOTdASH, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. dOTdASH

    dOTdASH Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > this quote is from Robert Mathews of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:52 :
    > >
    > > http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?num=1060950400

    > "Microsoft has gone on the rampage by slashing Windows XP and Office XP
    > prices to an excellent $36, but only in Thailand. According to the

    journal,
    > Microsoft has also removed activation from the products"
    >
    > So, how come it costs something like ten times that much to buy Windos

    here
    > in NZ?
    > (and don't say it is the cost of transport from Thailand.)
    >
    > And are these full versions, or trial / crippleware versions of XP or
    > Office?
    >

    > Peter

    maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
    labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
    take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais :)

    dOTdASH, Aug 16, 2003

  2. dOTdASH

    Rupert Guest

    > maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
    > labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
    > take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais :)

    however with parallel importing will the warehouse buy up big?

    Rupert, Aug 16, 2003

  3. dOTdASH

    Rupert Guest

    > So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
    > heck are the SECOND world countries?

    When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
    following;

    1st World - Developed West
    2nd World - Communist Countries
    3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
    politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

    Rupert, Aug 16, 2003
  4. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:57:22 +0530, "Rupert" <> wrote:

    >> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
    >> heck are the SECOND world countries?
    >>

    >When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
    >following;
    >
    >1st World - Developed West
    >2nd World - Communist Countries
    >3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
    >politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

    But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

    Robert Mathews, Aug 16, 2003
  5. dOTdASH

    Rupert Guest

    no, though the labour government is certainly trying to attain 2nd world
    status

    Rupert, Aug 16, 2003
  6. dOTdASH

    Jacob Boehme Guest

    dOTdASH allegedly said:

    > maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
    > labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
    > take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais :)

    You'd also need t oset up special "slave zo....."....um "Export manufacture"
    zones where labour laws do not apply.

    Multi-nationals love these. Cheap labour, no laws....and ifthe peasants get
    angry, their government will arrest or shoot them for you.

    But Windows is cheap.

    Jacob Boehme, Aug 16, 2003
  7. dOTdASH

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:57:22 +0530, "Rupert" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
    > >> heck are the SECOND world countries?
    > >>

    > >When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
    > >following;
    > >
    > >1st World - Developed West
    > >2nd World - Communist Countries
    > >3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
    > >politically correct things we are - Developing Nations
    > >

    > But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

    Only since all those immigrants came over from Pommieland

    Mainlander, Aug 16, 2003
  8. dOTdASH

    cowboyz Guest

    "Jacob Boehme" <> wrote in message
    > dOTdASH allegedly said:
    >
    > > maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
    > > labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ

    should
    > > take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais :)

    > You'd also need t oset up special "slave zo....."....um "Export

    manufacture"
    > zones where labour laws do not apply.
    >
    > Multi-nationals love these. Cheap labour, no laws....and ifthe peasants

    get
    > angry, their government will arrest or shoot them for you.
    >
    > But Windows is cheap.

    oh well.. we all have to compromise. ;-)
    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 16, 2003
  9. > But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

    We are approaching that with large scale immigration, and free handouts to
    anyone who asks for one.

    Oh hang on.... sound familiar Woger ?

    Robert Mathews, Aug 17, 2003
  10. In article <bhkmd1$6tu$>, "Rupert" <> wrote:

    >> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
    >> heck are the SECOND world countries?

    >When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
    >following;
    >
    >1st World - Developed West
    >2nd World - Communist Countries
    >3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
    >politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

    ... or 'majority world' :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 18, 2003