Re: Mozilla's Compose Formatting Toolbar

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Lomer wrote:
    > Need a little help with Mozilla's Compose Formatting Toolbar:
    > Some time ago I was able to include the Formatting Toolbar in Mozilla's
    > "Compose" Window. The bar included such options as font size change,
    > bold, text alignment, smiley faces, etc.
    > I recently installed Mozilla 1.7.5 (the same version as that on the old
    > machine) on a new machine and am unable to get that toolbar on the
    > compose screen. I've been in the Preferences to insure the settings on
    > both machines are identical, but still can not find the solution.
    > Can anyone be of assistance in solving my problem?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Merr
    >
    > Below is a pic of the toolbar I wish to add to my "Compose" screen

    To get that toolbar you have to be composing in HTML mode

    Window-->Mail & Newsgroups

    Edit-->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings

    select the account you want to compose in HTML in
    <account>-->Composition & Addressing

    X Compose messages in HTML format

    OR

    You can simply hold down the SHIFT Cmd button while hitting write or
    reply. If you are set to compose in plain text mode, it will change it
    to HTML mode (and give you the tool bar) for THAT message only.

    Remember, never send both HTML and plain text, one or the other
    Dont send HTML to newsgroups or people who havent indicated their desire
    to receive such.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 9, 2006

  2. Mozilla Champion (Dan)

    Lomer Guest

    Thanks Dan, really appreciate the help, but can't believe I was so inept
    in not seeing through that problem. The key should have been the Smiley
    faces which obviously require HTML for viewing. Also like the other hint
    (SHIFT Cmd button).
    Thanks again, Merr
    Lomer, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Lomer wrote:
    > Thanks Dan, really appreciate the help, but can't believe I was so inept
    > in not seeing through that problem. The key should have been the Smiley
    > faces which obviously require HTML for viewing. Also like the other hint
    > (SHIFT Cmd button).
    > Thanks again, Merr

    No, actually Smiley faces DONT require HTML to put in email or view!
    'Emoticon' enabled email/news readers will see this as a smiley
    :)
    do you see a smiley? Please check, this is a plain text message right?

    its slight of hand
    the program sees a : or ; and then looks at the next character, if its
    among a select group, aha, its an emoticon and the resulting smiley face
    shows up.
    :) :( ;) ;(

    other sleights of hands
    http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks.line.one

    will look like a link to you when you get this message, underlined and
    all, but again the message is plain text. Anything following http:
    becomes a link until the first illegal url character such as a space

    maito:

    this will also look (and act) like a mail to although its patently false
    of course. Another sleight of hand. Anything following mailto:

    there are others as well.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 9, 2006