Re: Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't list all ...........

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010.

  1. Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't list all the groups the NSP's carry. Foe
    > example, using WindowsMail/News, I can get all the groups I want.
    > Using Mozilla, expanding the groups in the window, I cannot.
    >
    > On WindowsMail/news, I can, on Solani, get every group I want. On
    > Mozilla they are not there to select. Alt.fan.mozilla and
    > alt.comp.freeware and many others are not listed in Thunderbird. I
    > wonder how many of you realize how many groups your NSPs carry that
    > you will never know if you only use Thunderbird. This is really
    > surprising. I can't even get alt.free.newsservers on Solani using
    > Thunderbird. This is very disappointing and very limiting.

    I think you are unaware of how the groups are listed in the Subscribe
    window.

    Note all those little plus signs in the left-hand edge of the list of
    groups. Click a few and you'll probably figure it out.

    Do you see the field: Show items that contain: [______________]
    Type alt.fan.mozilla in that box.
    Type alt.free.newsservers in that box.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010

  2. Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Valorie *~~ wrote:
    >>> Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't list all the groups the NSP's carry.

    Let's back up and start here. You are posting via Windows Mail and

    Are you using the same news server in Thunderbird? If so, the groups
    *have* to be the same, unless you aren't using proper setup and maybe
    only getting a short list of "don't have to register" groups.

    (I also think you mean NNTP instead of NSP.)

    >>> Foe example, using WindowsMail/News, I can get all the groups I
    >>> want. Using Mozilla, expanding the groups in the window, I cannot.
    >>>
    >>> On WindowsMail/news, I can, on Solani, get every group I want. On
    >>> Mozilla they are not there to select. Alt.fan.mozilla and
    >>> alt.comp.freeware and many others are not listed in Thunderbird. I
    >>> wonder how many of you realize how many groups your NSPs carry that
    >>> you will never know if you only use Thunderbird. This is really
    >>> surprising. I can't even get alt.free.newsservers on Solani using
    >>> Thunderbird. This is very disappointing and very limiting.

    >> I think you are unaware of how the groups are listed in the
    >> Subscribe window.
    >>
    >> Note all those little plus signs in the left-hand edge of the list
    >> of groups. Click a few and you'll probably figure it out.

    > Of course I knew to expand them. :) But even expanded the groups I
    > want are not there.

    Then you've done something else wrong.

    >> Do you see the field: Show items that contain: [______________]

    > Yes, and when I type in the name of the group, nothing shows. I go
    > down the list and it is not there.
    >
    >> Type alt.fan.mozilla in that box.

    > OK, I typed that in and the NGs in the window below vanished. There
    > is nothing there, the window is blank.

    ...which probably indicates that you are using either a different news
    server, or are restricted as I said above.

    >> Type alt.free.newsservers in that box.

    > In a second box? There is only the box at the top. ?!?!?!!?

    No. "in that box." There is one box. You erase the previous item and
    enter a new one.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    BTW, I just went here:
    http://www.x-privat.org/searchgroups_en.php
    and they carry all three groups you say you can't get.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010
  4. Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > Of course they carry them. I have them on all the other PCs. I didn't
    > know I would have to search/scroll down the list on Thunderbird and
    > hand-open (expand) those little triangles. ...

    If I type just: alt.
    in the 'Show items' box, it automatically opens up all the alt. groups
    ready for marking. And without having to press Enter or anything like
    that.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:12:02 -0500, Valorie *~~ wrote:

    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    >> BTW, I just went here:
    >> http://www.x-privat.org/searchgroups_en.php and they carry all three
    >> groups you say you can't get.

    > Of course they carry them. I have them on all the other PCs. I didn't
    > know I would have to search/scroll down the list on Thunderbird and
    > hand-open (expand) those little triangles. I stupidly assumed it was
    > more like WindowsMail and you just typed in the name and there it was -
    > to hit "subscribe." I was spoiled by the so easy to use and learn MS
    > mail and news clients. :) I thank you for your help and time. I'm just
    > exhausted trying to get the new PC set up so I can move on.

    Key word here: "stupidly". Well said.

    Now bugger off and go bother some other newsgroup, dimwit.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the warp core breached.
    Dan C, Sep 15, 2010
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:06:58 -0500, Valorie *~~ wrote:

    >> Valorie *~~ wrote:

    >> Let's back up and start here. You are posting via Windows Mail and
    >>
    >> Are you using the same news server in Thunderbird? If so, the groups
    >> *have* to be the same, unless you aren't using proper setup and maybe
    >> only getting a short list of "don't have to register" groups.
    >>
    >> (I also think you mean NNTP instead of NSP.)

    >>> Of course I knew to expand them. :) But even expanded the groups I
    >>> want are not there.

    >> Then you've done something else wrong.

    > OK. I spent a large amount of time expanding each one by hand. I found
    > many of them.

    >>> Yes, and when I type in the name of the group, nothing shows. I go
    >>> down the list and it is not there.

    >>> OK, I typed that in and the NGs in the window below vanished. There
    >>> is nothing there, the window is blank.

    >> ..which probably indicates that you are using either a different news
    >> server, or are restricted as I said above.

    >>> In a second box? There is only the box at the top. ?!?!?!!?

    >> No. "in that box." There is one box. You erase the previous item and
    >> enter a new one.

    > Got it. I found most of what I was looking for. After spending over 28
    > hours trying to get it to work I'm groggy and burnt out. I've had PCs
    > going back to W95 and never had such a headache setting up Mail and
    > News. I'm not crazy about Thunderbird but WindowsLiveMail wont work at
    > all for Newsgroups. Now the mail is backed up in WLM because the NG
    > messages can't be sent. I'm ready to scream. I'm so sorry I bought this
    > new PC with W-7. Sorry to bitch but I'm about to explode.

    Please do (explode).

    It would help the gene pool immensely.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he reinstalled TLX 3.1.
    Dan C, Sep 15, 2010